Klipsch Speakers and SET Amps

neo33

This is my first venture into the Klipsch horn world. I want to get a good compact pair of Klipsch bookshelves (that can extend low enough for classical music) to be driven by a pair of SET monoblocks. Despite the high efficiency of Klipsch speakers, I was told by serveral SET amps manufacturers that because of the complex crossover networks, Klipsch speakers are not suitable for SET amps since a vast amount of energy diminishes after it passes through the crossover networks and leaves little power left to drive the speakers no matter how efficient the speakers are. This is not very comforting since SET amps require very efficient speakers and Klipsch crossover networks just defeat its purpose. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

It's recently been suggested in the HT forum that I might have been smoking something(nope).I'd pass this sentiment on to your advisor.Just go listen & then decide.I don't use one watt of my SET amp with Khorns or LaScalas.I think someone's been Bogartin'.

SSH

neo33,

SET amps and speakers are a mix & match game. I think the older products, Cornwall, LaScala, Belle, KHorn are an easy fit. I found the RF-7 was good too. The RB-5s are a little inefficient for 3.5W SET, but 8W would be a possibility.

Chorus and Forte are a little more difficult and careful audition would be very important.

I listen to classical music on Chorus-IIs. Most of the time I use SET amplification. I had already modified my Moondog SET amps to the point that I must take responsibility for any questionable performance. When I switched from RF-7 to Chorus-II I had a big problem with the impedance swings of the speaker. I finally got the problem under control with a damping circuit I designed.

What I suspect is this: If you use a high quality, stock SET amp, you're probably in the clear. But, it is always possible the amp and speaker will not quite get along.

If you want the detail of SET, and it's great for string quartets, you have to get in there and pay your dues and take your chances. There just isn't a guaranteed solution. If you go pp with feedback, the interaction problems will not be there. I doubt you'll get that last bit of detail, but it's a lot less hassle and the sound is great. You have to decide.

leok