internal zip question

Mitch

So I just bought an internal zip drive and plan on installing it as a slave on IDE 1 to my master hard drive on IDE 1. My hard drive is running ultra ata/66 right now. MY question is, will installing the zip drive on the same IDE interface limit my hard drive's speed capabilities? I have read that if you were to install a hard drive running ultra ata/33 onto the same ide interface as a hard drive running ata/66, then both hard drives would be limited to ata/33....only as fast as the slowest component. Will this same effect happen in my setup?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you would be correct, the zip drive would determine the speed of any devices connected on the same IDE channel. Check your motherboard manual to be sure. I have found zips to be quirky and sometimes need their own channel if possible to avoid installation problems.

------------------

SF-1/SC-1/SS-1/KSW 10

Technics SA-DA8

Technics DVD-A10

(DVD Audio)

Sony SLV-700HF

Sony KV27TS27

Well, I have an idea. Maybe if i was to run my hard drive off of an ultra ata/66 controller card I have, while running the zip drive off of IDE 1 on my motherboard's channel. Maybe that would provide sufficient separation of devices to allow my hard drive to run at ata/66, while my zip does whatever the heck it needs to do on a separate channel. Hopefully this will work.

If you have an IDE 2 slot why not plug it in there? That would slave it to your CD-ROM if that is where it's hooked up.

I have a 4 year old external zip that I rarely use now that I have a CD-RW.

------------------

Yamaha HTR-5150

SF-1

SC-1

SS-1

KSW-150

• 11 months later...

wow, this was a long time ago!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Hehe, I just got an email "someone has replied to your topic" This was ages ago! Oh well, in conclusion, it turns out that the controller card I had did not like my motherboard one bit, so I just said screw it. I never use the zip anyways because my burner can do the job much better.

I would also like to add that I am STILL using the same set of v2-400 speakers I bought back in '99, and they still ROCK! Screw diamonds...a speaker means forever. Take it easy guys.

-Mitch