Best Budget SS Amp

arena

I guess I am the odd man out that thinks solid state is one of the few places where we HAVE made advancements over the 60s-70s, sometimes LARGE advancements in my view. Although I have found great happiness in vintage tube amps, the solid state stuff from the 70s, while better than some of the lower mid-fi, mass market dreck today, does not equal the sonics of the better less expensive modern solid state amps in my experience, especially in the integrated. Of course, expense is a relative thing here, usually in the $300 range used. If going in the ultra low ducats camp, I guess things like the Yamaha (I own the Yamaha Natural Sound CR-800), the HK-430, and something like the little 20w NAD 3020 (I owned this as well and loved the little beast) make ok alternatives. I easily preferred the NAD 3020 over the twice as powerful Yamaha CR-800. Of course, each would be COMPLETELY OUTCLASSED by a host of the sub $300 tube integrateds, this the place where the absolute best bang for buck lies waiting for the smart and lucky shopper doing his homework. The properly functioning 60s tube integrated with some nice valves smokes almost every sub 1k solid state offering, past or present. It's a big claim that seem far fetched to many but has been totally true in my experience.

For better lower priced solid state offerings used in the integrated category, look to the Musical Fidelity X-A1, Creek 4330, Creek 4040, NAD C350, NAIM NAIT, NAD 304, Mission Cyrus, Linn Majik, Rega Brio, Rega Mira, Arcam Alpha 9...

Heading a bit higher in price, look to the 47 Labs Shigaraki 4717, Audio Refinement Complete, Bryston B-60, Mistral LE, Audio Analog Puccini SE, Classe CAP-80, Electrocompaniet ECI 3, YBA Integre...

Look for some even better deals with the AMP category although not from the same companies as above.

Still, in my view, an up to spec, quality tube integrated will still beat those in many ways.

kh

Most everyone in the 2 channel forum has heritage series speakers and rebuilt tube integrated amps from the late 50s, and 60s.

A few people here have higher end tubes.

I think everyone USED to have s/s amplification but learned that the horns are most compatible with these old tube amps.

I am in the same boat. I was a Yamaha and Denon owner for years. Still own Denon. But the rebuilt Scott's listed below blow those sub 1K s/s amps right away. No comparison.

Highly recommend you reconsider the tubes. Buy and old Eico, Scott 222 or 299 (preferred) off EBay and sent it to NOSValves. That may be the best you can do for under 1K.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 10/29/2003 2:00:35 AM arena wrote:

I'm currently running a pair of RP3s with a Harmon Kardon HK3370 reciever, and have a Rega Planet 2000 for source.

I got the RP3s for $500 on eBay, and the Rega Planet 2000 for $500 on Audiogon.com. I am EXTREMELY pleased with both.

However I feel the Harmon Kardon is now the weakest link in my system. Would I notice significant improvement by upgrading my amp? I know significant is a relative/subjective term, but I do feel I noticed significant improvement by switching from Sony to Rega for source, and I've heard the pre-amp/amp will make a greater difference in sound quality.

I consider the RP3s and the Rega Planet 2000 great bargains at $500 a piece, so what are some options for a great bargain amp? I'd be spending $500-600, but purchasing from eBay or Audiogon and I don't mind used, so I could end up with an amp that originally sold for more than my target price.

At this point I'm not really considering tubes, I've never been able to hear a tube amp and my friend is having a rough time with his vox ac30, so I think I'll stick with solid state for now.

You guys helped me decide on the Rega Planet 2000, so thanks in advance for any help.
----------------

Depending on the power you are looking for, I just picked up a Mcintosh 1700 on ebay for 275

it has 40 watts rms/channel 8 hms and is integrated tube/ss, I heard it at a buddies place and it sounded great, not much money either, has 3 speaker jacks, phono, tape, 3 aux, and weighs 42 lbs11.gif I think it blows away the modern amps in this price range(buy a whole lot) it sold for 600 in 1973, so u figur it out...just 1 of many great deal on recievers out there....Good Luck

Smilin10.gif

I've been looking for a budget SS amp to put in my warehouse. It's very surprising how many ads for used SS amps on Audiogon, eBay and others have some reference to tubes. "Sounds like tubes", "As close to tubes as you can get" and other tag lines like that. A few years ago when I still thought tubes were for boobs, I don't recall seeing as many (if any at all) tube references. Not to mention used prices for some of the higher end SS amps (Bryston, Classé, Krell, Levinson, etc.) seem to be lower than I remember them being.

Just a thought,

Chris