alternative for subwoofer cable

ljr

I remodeled my home, planning to eventually get a Dolby digital A/V receiver instead of my surround sound receiver, and then also purchase a good subwoofer. I had speaker wires run through the walls and then under the tile/concrete in conduit, not knowing anything about Dolby digital receivers or powered subwoofers.

I just purchased a Harmon-Kardon AVR 525 and a Klipsch RW 12 subwoofer and find myself in a bit of trouble as the receiver has a line-out for the subwoofer and I don't have an easy way of getting subwoofer cable to the subwoofer.

Can I use one of the speaker wires (I think 16 AWG) or even two together and attach an RCA plug on either end to use the subwoofer?

Any suggestions are appreciated.8.gif

Thank you, however, I if I can get RCA cord in there, I can get subwoofer cable in there. My problem is that without some luck or a bit of wall work, I am stuck with the standard speaker wires and want to know if I can somehow use them between the receiver and the subwoofer.

----------------

On 10/30/2003 9:35:29 AM The Hobbit wrote:

Yes, you can attach RCA connectors to the speaker wire. Its not the optimum thing as it may pick up a bit of noise (depends on how long the run is and the gague of the wire). I had to do this on a 30'+ length of speaker wire for a friend who did what you had done. It worked pretty well.

----------------

yup... basically the coax (same as sub) cable has it's positive lead runing inside the negative ... and they share they same axis (ie: coaxial) to reduce their sensitivity to noise.

Using your speaker wire will work with the only risk being that it picks-up some noise. Worth a try for the cost of a couple of connectors. 2.gif

Rob

The RW12 has the single LFE input, the left/right RCA and a High input. The high input is a left +/- and a right +/- connection (4 inputs). Double check, but I think you can just take one of your channel outs (ex B speakers) to the sub...? (at least thats how I interpreted the explaination from the Klipsch tech support for my RW12).