RC3 vs Academy

Lone Palm

I switched out a KLF-C7 with an Academy (Cornwall II mains) and am hard pressed to tell the difference. Luckily I found the Academy at a pawn shop for $150 or I would have been pi$$ed to spend $600 or more for no giant leap in performance or timbre matching. Sold the KLF to a friend for what I paid from U-Bid ($275) which was still a heck of a deal for him. He is matching the KLF's with a pair of LaScala's and his front soundstage is awesome.

• 3 months later...

I replaced and RC3-II with an ACADEMY to better match my FORTE-II front L and R's. The ACADEMY does sonically match the forte-II better than the RC3-II did. However, the HT sound using the RC3-II was phenomenal while I would describe the FORTE-II/ACADEMY pair (with two KG-1's bringing up the rear) HT Nirvana. In either instance, we're talkin' high end HT sound. If you have discriminating taste and are also an HT hobbyist, then you will always have the desire for perfection, I would recommend procuring the Academy. PS - I never get rid of my RC3-II. Its sleeping in its orginal packaging.

I am using four cornwalls and a RC-7 . While there are better timbre matches to be had, I am very happy with my set up. As Garymd stated, it isn't near as bad as some would have you believe. I don't notice the mismatch very often, and the 7 has NO problem keeping up with the Corns.

If I had the room, I would use a Vertical Cornwall for center, like eqshadimar, but I don't, so I'll have to make do with what I have.