yamaha rx-z9

damonrpayne

ok... couple issues I felt compelled to address here. I've been lurking for so long, I figure what the hey, maybe it is time to get into some debate.

I make this strong statement as I have managed to obtain a Sunfire Theater Grand II and Signature Cinema Grand Amp

Sure, except we're talking about receivers, not separates. Give me a JBL Synthesis THX preamplifier and EQ and 14 Wright Sound 2A3 PP's and I'll embarass your Sunfire. What's the point? My cash outlay would be in the neighborhood of about $25,000. No one here is arguing that separates are better than receivers, but Yammy puts out one hell of a receiver.

If you were to buy a separate scaler that's as good as the one in the RXZ9 you'd probably be looking at something aroudn the cost of the receiver itself, maybe even more. Besides the gutsy amps and awesome processors, there's also the added flexibility of setting up and storing presets through a computer that can't be accessed through the normal OSD.

I don't know where you're shopping scalers, but you can get some really nice scaling technology in the <$2000 range. Silicon Image's new iScan HD clocks in at @ $1200 and does a spectacular job of upsampling to 1080i. I know - I installed one on a projector system a couple months back - outstanding upsampling from 480i and 480p sources.

The Yamaha's have taken a bit of a beating on this forum. I was very happy with my DSP A-1 and the special effects front speakers really do spread the sound stage. I do miss that feature.

That being said, their was a significant improvement in sound quality when I went to separates. That new Yami looks and reviews great, but when you're spending that kind of money, you really should do some comparisons. There are a lot of really nice options (separate and receivers) in that price range.

One caution, the review says: "RATED POWER 170 watts x 7 into 8 ohms with maximum 0.015% THD (channels driven individually or in pairs)" I've been told the power ratings are more "true" when they are rated all channels driven together. Doesn't sound like the yami will deliver 170 watts to all 7 channels at the same time, not that you would likely need that.

Well here goes.....

Let me start by saying that I love my Yamaha!!!

I have used Denon and Onkyo as well and for me Yamaha has been the best as I like their crisp and clear sound.

They have really tested me though. I burned up 2 RX-V3300's (Warranty)and moved up to the RX-Z1. On both units I found the front effects were a waste of a good speaker...just my opinion.

The RX-Z9 looks like it will be a good contender for a while. At that price point I think many people will question seperates.

Both of my RX-v3300 had a puff of smoke and they were no more! Yamaha made me one whale of a deal on the RX-Z1. At the time the RX-Z9 was so new they had not shipped which may be why I got a great deal on the RX-Z1, which I love.

I will say I loved the RX-v3300 as much. Whithougt the deal I'm not sure they is that much difference between the two.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have an odd problem with DTS playback set to "auto - enhanced". When I play a DTS audio CD the digital stream seems to "skip". I also get it with my cable box. Its almost like my decoder in the Receiver is "overlaoded" or can't keep up with the sample rate or something. It is annoyying the sh!t out of me. It's under warranty so I guess I need to take it in.

----------------

On 5/20/2004 4:57:41 PM J.4knee wrote:

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have an odd problem with DTS playback set to "auto - enhanced". When I play a DTS audio CD the digital stream seems to "skip". I also get it with my cable box. Its almost like my decoder in the Receiver is "overlaoded" or can't keep up with the sample rate or something. It is annoyying the sh!t out of me. It's under warranty so I guess I need to take it in.

----------------

I'd start with checking your speaker settings, it sounds like you have some speakers activated that are not there.

BTW , dont get scared by the poster aboves experience with the 3300 because there are alot of people like myself who have had zero problems with it.

----------------

On 5/20/2004 11:28:52 PM basse wrote:

It looks like I have to go for the Rotel RSP-1068 and a RMB-1095 since the dealer couldnt get the Yammy Z9 before August. Who can wait that long?!

Well, I have to buy it then....
4.gif

----------------

I'm sure you will be very happy with your new Rotel combination and forget about the Yamaha quickly.1.gif

On 5/20/2004 11:28:52 PM basse wrote:

It looks like I have to go for the Rotel RSP-1068 and a RMB-1095 since the dealer couldnt get the Yammy Z9 before August. Who can wait that long?!

Well, I have to buy it then....

We can all bow our heads for a moment of silence for basse. Shame you'll have to just put up with that heh?