Where to buy sound proofing foam?

MichaelShaffer

Want to reduce computer fan noise? I'd recommend some semi-rigid insulation to line the cabinet. There are some manufactured products designed just for that purpose, but if you want a readily available product at HomeDepot, take a look at the acoustic tiles made of fibreglass insulation.

They are usually plastic vinyl coated and have a yellow insulation backing (NOT the Cardboard ONES!)... Mounting these with the insulation towards your machine should help attenuate your fan noise. Fans usually emit a mid to high frequency broadband noise (ummm... why does that sound like an oxymoron?) which is where these panels do well at. They are less than 1" thick.

If you want to attack lower frequencies, you would have to use thicker products, which may not be readily available... such as Fibreglass 700 series semi rigid (ideal) or one of the AF series equivalents (you'd have to check the specs for products like AF110 and AF530). Again you'd be attenuating the noise as sound proofing is next to impossible, if your machines need ventilation.

Good luck...

Rob

yea, that's the only problem. I was thinking of either 1)making a 120mm hole and mounting my 120mm fan to it and put a muffler of some kind onthe outside, or 2) drilling lots of small (1/16") holes in the top and bottom of the case to let hot air escape and cool air get sucked in. I'm not sure which would be quieter..

Since the walls of it are 3.5" thick (yea, it's gonna be heavy as hell, it's already 250lbs and it's only half done) I think the small holes thing would work, just because the sound waves would have to bounce pretty much straight out the hole to escape.

----------------

On 11/3/2003 6:30:14 PM MichaelShaffer wrote:

the sound waves would have to bounce pretty much straight out the hole to escape.

----------------

and they will... easier than your neighbour's voice through plumbing vent in a typical apartment block.

If you want to use "isolation" to insulate from sound... you'll have to block every hole into your room, as sound will easily escape through ANY hole. These will render your efforts null. Perhaps you could vent it into another room using two 4" pipes (in and out)?

In actuality, you do not need the concrete bunker as I don't believe you have any bass frequencies that require mass to prevent transmission. 4.gif Higher frequencies could be "attenuated" with some strategically placed insulation.

Later...

Rob

9 fans and 4 hard drives? Holy cow that must be a giant! I don't think that a concrete enclosure is going to help much in the way of sound transmission. Sound transmits by radiation, and while the enclosure might help to add mass, it won't block all noise unless it was sealed completely. Of course this is not practical at all. Most of the higher frequency noise can be absorbed with foam or fibreglass products. Foam may be flammable, unless you puchase foam made for the job. On the other hand, fibreglass is itchy. It would help to know the frequency of the noises, then the problem is easier to treat. If the cpu case is vibrating, try adding mass to it, like a heavy block placed on top.