RSW-15 Placement

kenplaza

To get your subs bass,exploit its capabilities...

I always place the subs along the front wall where you have corners,close to corners if possible.Sit about a meter from the back wall.

With an RSW15 corner loaded and you sitting on the opposite side there is no reason you should not get satisfactory bass,unless you have to wall behind you(open space ),then you may even sit in a so called dead spot.The bass may be very strong to the left or the right but apears to be weak where you sit.

The ideal(lets forget the sphere and be realistic) sound room has FOUR nice corners,and no nasty open spaces where bass escapes.

A closed room can be pressurised by a few good woofers and let you feel the gut wrenching impact,you would miss in an open space.Unless you have DIRECTIONAL HORN LOADED WOOFERS THAT PROJECT THE IMPACT AT YA.

Thanks for your reply. I've seen your responses to other questions so your opinion is valued. I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly about the placement in the corner. Place the sub in the corner with the active woofer facing the back wall. Then pull it out about 1 meter from the back wall. Did I understand you correctly? The room I am in is closed on the front and the sides with a french door entering into the room from the rear. So from what you are saying, I shouldn't really have a dead spot...?

Ok one more time

The sub should be around 12 inches from the corner,active always facing the corner.PR facing you

If you room is not open like many living rooms you should have no problems with bass,as long as YOU sit around 1 meter from the back wall.And celling is not too high,the lower the celling the more bass you will get,more impact.

----------------

On 11/4/2003 10:19:35 PM odiedarklord wrote:

also it might sound stupid but place the sub in the spot that you will spend most of the time listing, and ( here comes the stupid part ) get on your hands and knees and crawl until you hear and feel the best bass response. well thats my two cents

james

----------------

That's not stupid at all, I've found it to work very well.

A while ago I did a little experiment with this. I put my brothers sub in his main listening position. I then went around the room measuring the frequency response at different locations in the room. I then put the mic at the listening position and put the sub at all the location I orignally took measurents and compared the graphs. The two graphs for the each location I tried(it was 4 locations), mimicked each other very closely.

----------------

On 11/4/2003 10:36:23 PM kenplaza wrote:

Place the sub in the corner with the active woofer facing the back wall. Then pull it out about 1 meter from the back wall. Did I understand you correctly? The room I am in is closed on the front and the sides with a french door entering into the room from the rear. So from what you are saying, I shouldn't really have a dead spot...?

----------------

There is no "magical" placement that works best in all cases. Experimenting is a good way of tweaking your performance.

1) All (non-anechoic) rooms will have some peaks and nulls... it's just the number and amplitude of them that will vary. You will have a dead spot.

2) Manufacturers often suggest corner placement, which will give you the highest SPL... but the frequency will be more variable from point to point. Mid wall placement will give a flatter response for more seating positions at a lower SPL. Theoretically the loudest point is rarely the flattest point (loud = peak ... and for every peak you have and equal/opposite null)

If you want to minimise experimenting, you could try the two positions (corner and midwall) and your two most frequently used seats with each. Unfortunately room size / sub size / decor / layout may limit you to very few choices... trust me, I know. 15.gif

A SPL meter and test tone disk would help.

Later..

Rob

PS: I think the

pull it out about 1 meter from the back wall.

was in reference to your seating position vs the back wall and not the sub's position. 2.gif