Amps out of older console stereos

I've seen mention in here from time to time about using the amplifiers out of old consoles. If memory serves me, there were some fairly decent amps mentioned? Or maybe not. Memory isn't what it used to be. Anyway... I'm curious if there is any kind of book/catalog/referance material that would list the amps used in these old systems? i.e. "The Zenith 103k console incorporated a Scott amplifier along with the Garrard record player and Zenith tuner." I live out in the sticks and there are frequent estate sales, farm auctions, etc., that I see old consoles listed in the auction lists. Not really expecting to find some incredible sounding amp in one, but maybe a starting point for a first tube amp? I've checked with all the tv repair shops, music shops, stereo shops, etc., in my area, and haven't even been able to come up with anyone that is interested in, or is familiar with, tube audio, much less that has any, though I'm sure there are some good setups around me, my business is in a resort/vacation community with property values starting at over $1,000 per foot for undeveloped lakeshore, so I'm sure SOMEONE around me has some tube stuff, though in asking around at lunch/tavern/gas station most of what I hear is "Tube Auto, what's that?" Just throwing out ideas as I search for an amp, not too excited about buying off ebay, and haven't been into this long enough to know for sure what it even is I'm looking for.

sighhhh... just had a thought, called a customer that I knew had some nice hi-fi stuff, said he had a pair of AR amps and a matching preamp that he sold a couple years ago...said he would have traded it to me for car repair if he still had it.8.gif

If you see a old vintage console, at least look and see what's in it.

Pretty soon you start to see the difference in a cheap ol' tube console and a nice high quality unit.

You never know what could be in there.

Granted, some of the cheaper stuff is not really Hi-Fi, some of it does rather well, some of it's mono.

Some of the tube amplifiers in these old consoles require some modifications to be used without the console or the daisy-chained reciever/tuner.

It can be one of the cheapest ways to get into tube audio.

Just be prepared to fix what you find!

My prize score at a yard sale was a Fisher 400 receiver driving a pair of Jensen speakers in a custom console: $30. I sold the Jensens on ebay. Also picked up my Dynas at yard sales: $40 a piece.

My Marantz 2385 came from a hole in the wall second hand electronics shop in Korea. $280 and it works perfectly.

Good hunting!

Most of these units had cheapo tube amps,so what is the use? Vintage does not mean great because its vintage,most vintage is scrap compared to gear you can buy today.

You have some gems but these are not part of some all in one furniture radio turn tables with speakers.

Some (many?) console stereos had better amps than one might think... I have three of 'em, of which the clear winner is a Magnavox AM-FM Stereo phono with a stereo EL84PP amp. The power amp is really good sounding. Best of all the whole console, in very good condition was free.

Also have a Westinghouse stereo phono with a SE 7591 stereo integrated amp which sounds OK. Paid $3 for that one, and it needed repair.

The final one is a Sentinel (but not the real Sentinel radio company... it's clearly a Magnavox) mono AM-FM phono with a 6V6PP power amp which is OK too. This one was also a freebie.

I'd highly recommend the later (early-1960's?) Magnavox console stereo amps with 6V6PP or EL84PP separate power amps. They're quite decent. Look what they go for on that popular auction site! :-)