Ear and all his subs!

Colin

Ear, you sub nut, thanks for sharing the list of what you have I am surprised that so many seem to be so similar:

1. Why havent you found a value leader, like the RSW for example, and built a wall with four of them?

2. Why arent they different, like two SVS tubes and two boomy and cheap KSW series?

3. What subs have you seriously auditioned, in your own home, with the same music and equipment?

4. What other subs have you heard?

5. How do you hook them all up?

6. What are the EQ and power settings on most of them?"

1. Because I like the many flavors, like with women you need change...if you took the most gorgeous woman and cloned her...in the end it would be BORING. Same here, one brunette, one blonde and so on...

2. Why aren't they different?!?! They are each has its own looks, feel and sound. Even if its on a very small spectrum (16-80Hz)

3. What subs... here are some. Whatever you trust me or NOT:

Paradigm PS800,PS1000,PW2200,Servo-15

Monitor Audio 212

Polk Audio PSW404,PSW505,PW650(have the 404 and 505)

Reel RSW810,RSW1215(have them both)

Klipsch KSW10,KSW12,KSW15,LF10,RSW10,RSW12 and RSW15(have the whole RSW line)

Aerial SW12(have it)

Revel B15(have it)

Sunfire Junior, Super Jr.,Mark II,Mark IV, Signature(have the Jr.,Mark II and Sig.)

Carver Knight Shadow(have two)

Velodyne HGS12,HGS18,SPL800 and SPL1000(have the HGS18 and the SPL1000)

B&W ASW1000,ASW4000 and ASW2500

Pinnacle BABY BOOMER

M&K VX100,MX700 and 4000

SVS Ultra(two powered by a Carver TFM75)

Energy XL18

Cabasse(dont remember the model)

REL Q200E,Q400 and Stadium

Linn SIZMIK

Definitive Powerfield 1500

4. Also did audition long and over again at the store...

Wilson Audio WATCH DOG(very impressive sub...$18000 Canadian..BURP)

a few PSB's including the Stratus sub...and too many to make a full list. None did strike me

Canton subs (really NOTHING special)

Two Focal (JM Lab) subs, both very musical. Some older Velodyne F series 15" servo sub, a 12". KEF's THX sub, great sounding dont remember the model, glass top.

5. How do I hook them all up...I dont hook them all up. They are set in four separate setups (systems).

First in my main system the HGS18, Revel B15 and Aerial SW12 are connected using a Paradigm X30 sub box from the preamp.

Next three Sunfires, two Carvers and three Klipsch RSW's are also connected using another X30.The RSW's have pass thru so they are daisy chained. The Sunfire and Carvers are split using Y's. With quality Monster M1000 and Monster Bass cables using Monster T's to split the cable.

The third system is a PC sound system, two Polks, two Reels. The Reel subs have pass thru so from Reel to Polk and voila.

The last system uses the SPL1000 fed from Audigy ZS sub out.

And I have a fifth system used to test new subs and PC speakers, there a Cambridge Mega Works 510D is used, soon a PM 5.1 Ultra will take its place.

EQ settings vary, all subs are set to bypass when they have this function, or max X over setting. In case of the Revel its set using the provided Revel software. Also, most Sunfires and Klipsch RSW are set at 50% on the sub gain. Then the rest is set to -3dB in the pre/pro.

Your questions are rather specific and answering them all in proper manner would require me to lift my *** from my chair and check all the subs back plates (you wish, too long).

Just so you know soon(well end of the year and June-August next year) I will add the Paradigm Seismic 10 and 12 plus the Signature 2500.Also two SVS, the PB2-Ultra and the B4-Plus(of the Ultra if Tom decides to go all out and build one )

2.gif

Colin,

Yes yes I know I have a few screws loose,I was told so even at the store where I purchased 9 of the 16 subs(you know the store CO1,same store your purchased your Paradigm sub )

I have a sickness called the SUBPHILIA its a very serious disease,and it attacks the brain.If you have no money to spare better pray you dont catch this terrible illness.

Ear,

I know you love subs, you are the forum sub expert. But, you are so diminutive. How do you move them? I'm 6'3" and 240# and I have a hard time moving my SW-15 at 90#. How do you do it? Gym? Levitation? Big dumb oaf like me? Or do you just put them in order and leave them there? Enquiring minds want to know.

Rick

You are 6.3,240lbs and have trouble with a sub under 80lbs! Do you suffer from muscular distrophy? 3.gif

I am 6.2,194lbs and can lift over my head with ease a 140lbs amp,holding it by the handles.I took my HGS18 one time and put it up the mezanine where I have two PC's,the HGS18 is over 100lbs easy.Also not to brag or shout but I have no truble moving my 180lbs Krell FBP600,no no sliding.

Maybe its because I am one of those from the peeps that was born behind the iron curtain and its genetics,since I dont do weight lifting(the weight lifting is moving my gear).

Ear, you own some awesome stuff, but since you are NOT 4 foot two, I dont what to believe need to post your system man, with some pics! Here is your baby:

Krell's 600Wpc, $12,500 Full Power Balanced 600 is a single-box stereo chassis whose speaker output is balanced; ie, neither "positive" or negative" terminals are connected to ground or the amplifier chassis. (Note that no speaker switches or headphone adaptors, which often have joined channel grounds, may be used, as they will short the outputs.) Rated 600Wpc into 8 ohms (27.8dBW), 1200W into 4 ohms (27.8dBW). Power bandwidth (-3dB): 4Hz-20kHz. Measures 945Wpc continuous into the same load (935Wpc into a scaled 8 ohms)!!. The FPB 600 could sustain a 29.3dBW level into this load, corresponding to 3.4kWpcan extraordinary figure!!!! And for 1 ohmwait for itan amazing 6kW! The FPB 600 can vaporize some of the SMALLER SPEAKER CABLES if inadvertently short-circuited at the speaker end!

Output impedance: 0.03 ohms. Input sensitivity: 4.3V RMS (balanced) for rated output. Input impedance: 85k ohms. Shipping weight: 182 lbs.

The output stages of the FPB 600 have fully regulated power suppliesprobably the world's first at this high a power level. Regulation means that there is an active electronic filter/stabilizer isolating the power amplifier proper from the raw, rectified, and capacitor-smoothed power lines. Driving this powerhouse are two massive Avel Lindberg toroidal transformers, wired in parallel to give maximum power to the regulated supplies. The 600's output stage is run without overall loop negative-feedback, something that can confer excellent high-frequency stability and low coloration.

The resulting impact was colossal, unexpected, unprecedented, totally in control, easy, hugely loud yet unfatiguing, exciting, involving, thunderous, and effortless. Here was the audio equivalent of a Porsche or a Ferrarino excuses, no practical limits. In musical terms, the '600 suggested an impact comparable to that of such high-performance automobilesand for a whole lot less money! I rate the FPB 600 as the "fastest" of the big superamps in terms of rhythm and timing. All in all, this most excellent set of test results describes a highly neutral, superbly linear, highly load-tolerant, and very powerful amplifier.I confidently dub the Full Power Balanced 600 the "Grand Slam" of power amplifiers.

Stereophile magazine, Martin Colloms, April 1997

----------------

On 11/7/2003 1:49:27 PM Colin wrote:

Ear, you own some awesome stuff, but since you are NOT 4 foot two, I don’t what to believe – need to post your system man, with some pics! Here is your baby:

Rated 600Wpc into 8 ohms (27.8dBW), 1200W into 4 ohms (27.8dBW). Power bandwidth (-3dB): 4Hz-20kHz. Measures 945Wpc continuous into the same load (935Wpc into a scaled 8 ohms)!!. The FPB 600 could sustain a 29.3dBW level into this load, corresponding to 3.4kWpc—an extraordinary figure!!!! And for 1 ohm—wait for it—an amazing 6kW! The FPB 600 can vaporize some of the SMALLER SPEAKER CABLES if inadvertently short-circuited at the speaker end!

Output impedance: 0.03 ohms. Input sensitivity: 4.3V RMS (balanced) for rated output. Input impedance: 85k ohms. Shipping weight: 182 lbs.

The output stages of the FPB 600 have fully regulated power supplies—probably the world's first at this high a power level. Regulation means that there is an active electronic filter/stabilizer isolating the power amplifier proper from the raw, rectified, and capacitor-smoothed power lines. Driving this powerhouse are two massive Avel Lindberg toroidal transformers, wired in parallel to give maximum power to the regulated supplies. The 600's output stage is run without overall loop negative-feedback, something that can confer excellent high-frequency stability and low coloration.

Stereophile magazine, Martin Colloms, April 1997

----------------

6 kw of power with what input voltage?

The FPB600 can draw over 6KW from the AC! This I cannot say is true in my case as I run mine on a mere 20AMP circuot,soon I will have a dedicated 40AMP circuit just for the amp.

I have six separate 20AMP circuits and seven 15AMP circuits just for my audio.1.gif And if I ever wanted to test my gear at full tilt this would not meed the demand and sonme breakers would POP.

Nice to have so much power,on paper anyway.And my 40MP dedicated circuit is needed and soon.

However I only made the breaker go one time so far and the FPB600 i driving hungry Dynaudio Contour 3.3's,when the breaker went the SPL was..intimidating.

----------------

However I only made the breaker go one time so far and the FPB600 i driving hungry Dynaudio Contour 3.3's,when the breaker went the SPL was..intimidating.

----------------

Ear, you kill me man, you inspire me to want to keep pushing the envelope with my gear when I read your lunatic posts...thanks

----------------

On 11/7/2003 9:38:29 AM TheEAR wrote:

Maybe its because I am one of those from the peeps that was born behind the iron curtain and its genetics,since I dont do weight lifting(the weight lifting is moving my gear).

----------------

It must be the cold air and the quality beer that has made him physically superior... 2.gif

Ear, I may need your help moving my new sub around (it's tipping the scales at about 140lbs) while I sit and take SPL readings... 3.gif I'm tired of flipping the thing around the apply the finish...

Rob

Crap! Sorry I'm late on this one, had some clients to deal with cause I would of loved to reply first to the "I'm so big but too weak to move my sub around". Ha! Ha! Sorry 3dzapper no offence but at your size if you have trouble moving your sub around you've got problems. Either that or you meant 240# and 63-inches or 140# and 6'3" which would explain the admitted weakness. I have no problem moving guys your weight around let alone my sub so I feel for you and I hope you get better soon.9.gif Ear I'd say it's all the snowmobiles we lift combined with the building of our igloos and the raw animal product we are forced to eat to survive which makes it easy for us to move large subs eh!3.gif I dont know who the guy in the pic is but Im pretty sure its not 3dzapper.9.gif

jbl380sub.jpg

post-3846-1381924997724_thumb.jpg

Finally an end to the mystery. TheEAR let me come over to take some pics of his equipment to shut you all up so here is a shot of his main HT. I will be doing a full write up later as it is too much to attempt given my present work obligations but I will tell you this, we rocked the entire province with this rig. Good times eh Ear!

post-3846-1381924997757_thumb.jpg

"I am 6.2,194lbs and can lift over my head with ease a 140lbs amp,holding it by the handles.I took my HGS18 one time and put it up the mezanine where I have two PC's,the HGS18 is over 100lbs easy.Also not to brag or shout but I have no truble moving my 180lbs Krell FBP600,no no sliding."

what is there to brag, Ears...I am 5'10", 175lbs and I can carry my 150lbs Krell 650Mc with ease 3.gif...

Bill,

What CO1 posted was...my system 6.gif

NOT,I could never buy such exquisite quality.Too poor 3.gif

When I finish the sound proofing and finish installing acoustic panels and tubes I'll pist pics.For now its not worthy.Even with all my gear it looks more of a store showroom than a real High-End system set in a home.

By the time I will have two SVS subs added and the Paradigm Signature 2500 too.9.gif Then with all this armada and room finished the way I want I will post pics,and a few thank you.

----------------

On 11/8/2003 7:43:06 AM Bill H. wrote:

CO1- LOL........... and I truly was excited, expecting, Finally, True pictures of some of the Stuff The EAR talks about.
15.gif

----------------

Yeah, I was excited myself. Once I saw that picture, I was like, "Aww maan!" I'd like to see those Dynaudio Contours and the Krell 6.gif. But hey, who could afford such exquisite quality audio as that pictured. I don't know if I could even put my B&K and RF-7s up against that. 11.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/8/2003 3:12:57 AM CO1 wrote:

Finally an end to the mystery. TheEAR let me come over to take some pics of his equipment to shut you all up so here is a shot of his main HT. I will be doing a full write up later as it is too much to attempt given my present work obligations but I will tell you this, we rocked the entire province with this rig. Good times eh Ear!

----------------

Hey it aint april fools

wish I had one a dose

take care, Ear

11.gif11.gif11.gif15.gif