kt66 vs el34

mopar dave

Yes you can. You could also use KT 88s. EL 84s have been used a great deal in audio equipment. Yes they are also used in guitar and PA amps but there are many great tube amps that use them. I have listened to all of the above and to my ears the KT 88s are the most pleasing to me with my Cornwalls.

Josh

----------------

On 11/9/2003 9:16:06 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The KT-66 is a 6L6 and is NOT interchangable with thge EL34 or the KT-88. NONE of these tubes are interchangable without siginificant modifications . . .

----------------

I mispoke in my first post ( actually it was a wine induced keystroke yip) I meant EL 34 not EL 84.

At least in my amp ( rocket 88R) the KT 88s can be replaced by either the EL 84 the 6550 the KT 66 the KT77 or the KT90. All have the same pin design and all are compatible with out rewiring. I have heard that the same is true with other amps as well. I am by no means an expert, but I have used KT 66s and KT 88s and EL 34s in the same amp.

Josh

There is a way to design enough adjustment into a Bias circuit to use KT88 , 6550 , KT66 , 6L6 , EL34 and 5881 all in the same amp. There will be a impedance mismatch when running the amp with tubes the output transformer was not designed for. The amp Mopar Dave has is not going to run KT88's it may do alright with KT66/6L6 types there is only one way to find out ! No matter what the amp will not be optimal for all tube types but it will work and you may love it or hate it !

Craig

With my amp I think I can run the EL34, the 6550 or the KT88 but not the KT66, KT90 nor the EL84 so I think you need to refer to the manufacturer before making any purchases.

As it happens I now run the EL34, coming from the KT88. Whilst there were in rather different amps I would suggest the KT88 is faster with better bass whilst the EL34 is MUCH more musical.

Having both is probably the ideal. I have not had good experiences with the 6550 and would not recommend it.

You know, in theory at least, the coke bottle tubes are not as accurate as the skinny bottle ones. It is harder to get a good vacume with a larger bottle. The weaker vacume will have more distortion, less taunt and less speed. This may be the reason that very small bottle tubes like the EL 84 have such a strong following by people who claim they sound faster and taunter then higher powered tubes like EL34 and big bottle tubes like KT66.

Of course, this is only the "theory".2.gif

Dave1.gif