Best DVD player for movies

tillmbil

dougdrake/CO1-

What do you really gain with a player that has the Faroudja DCDi de-interlacing? I looked at the Phillips DVD963SA, but the price is more than I really want to spend right now. Heck, I haven't even made it to progressive scan yet! The Pioneer DV563AS seems to be a decent? start before going to units that cost more than twice as much.

Also, my teevee has a DVI/HDTV input, is this better than component input? Most of this new video stuff is pushing my knowledge to the limits.

Thanks, anyone can reply!

You will only benefit from de-interlacing (or conversion to progressive output) if your TV accepts progressive input. It sounds like yours does, if it has DVI/HDTV input. Faroudja just does a great job of converting the interlaced format that is on the DVD to the progressive (de-interlaced) format. Gives a very smooth picture.

DVI/HDTV is the best generally available connection, better than component. With it, you are passing the digital signal directly from the source (DVD, whathaveyou) to the monitor, rather than converting to analog and then back to digital again. With DVI, your monitor does the conversion to progressive rather than your DVD player. However, you must have a DVD player that outputs a DVI signal. There are a few that do - Samsung 931 and Bravo D1 come to mind.

DD

----------------

On 11/11/2003 7:38:51 PM space_cowboy wrote:

dougdrake/CO1-

What do you really gain with a player that has the Faroudja DCDi de-interlacing?
----------------

An advantage of the Faroudja interlacing chip that no one has mentioned is the fact that it does not offer up video with the infamous "chroma bug"... a flaw I have with my Toshiba player. It's one of those things I did not notice as vividly until I was aware of it, then it drove me crazy until I found a Panasonic RP82.

The chroma bug manifests itself most distinctly when displaying images with heavily saturated reds; the best example I am aware of is the titles for Toy Story 2, but it is evident on other sources as well (I noticed it every time I watched episodes from the Simpsons box sets; it's so prevalent, many scenes are blurry as compared to the Faroudja-equipped Panasonic).

Lets go back to Bills original request for suggestions. Best DVD player for movies.

Bill owns a Mits 55 TV. Many of us use DVD players that work best with our particular displays and what we demand from audio set ups. How about if we approach it this way? What, in your opinion, would be the best DVD player for movies on my Mits 55 inch television. Although I almost always agree with Dougs recommendations (pretty scary, huh Doug?) Ive got to go with what Chuckears input is on this one. He has a Mits 55809. In my opinion he has the best player for his display. The RP82. I dont think you can get one unless it is used. Im throwing in my opinion because I own a Mits 55807. I couldnt find a NEW RP82 or the 5-disc changer version, the RP72, like fini has. Both fine players. Ill tell you this before I go on. Im a big fan of the Panasonic RP91. I own two of them. Now the RP 82 and RP72 are supposed to perform better with video based material compared to the RP91 because they use the DCDi Faroudja/Genesis FLI2200 chip for deinterlacing and the MEI MN67753IKA MPEG decoder. The RP91 uses the same decoder so all off these players do not have the chroma bug but the RP91 uses 2 different types Genesis deinterlacers that are inferior to the ones used in the 82 and 72 thus giving these 2 models the edge. The only player that I found available to purchase new with a warranty was a Denon 1600 that for all intent and purposes is just a rebadged RP82. Another player thats available, which I think Doug has mentioned before on the forum, that has the same decoder and deinterlacer, is the Yamaha - DVD-S2300 which is both a both SACD and DVD-A player. The Pannys and the 1600 only play DVD-Audio. Getting back to the subject, I prefer the RP91 for movies on my Mits. It has more user adjustments than the others and that is what I have my display calibrated with. The new Denon 5900 looks interesting to me but I think the jury is still out on this one and it will cost around 2000 dollars.

Thanks Freak.

Since I have had nothing but bad luck buying used cd and dvd players I will stay with something new. Price would be around $1,000. Would the 2900 be a good purchase for both music and video, or do you think the 1600 would be better?

Video is what this system sees most of the time, with occasional jam sessions when I need real volume.

speaks:

96 Forte II's

CC3-II

KG 3.5 rears

Yamaha RXV-992 receiver - rear surround/processor

Yamaha 40 EQ

Yamaha M80 for fronts

Marrantz MA500 for center

BBB - I'm flattered! You aren't dissenting from my thoughts. I suggested a Faroudja-equipped player and so did you. My comments about the Samsung and Bravo were aimed at space-cowboy who asked about DVI. So, we remain in harmony.

Look at the Philips DVD-963sa for half the price of the Denon 2900/Yamaha SD-2300. Killer video, great audio section, no chroma bug, Faroudja DCDi, etc....plus you can hack it to output 1080i!!

DD

On 11/11/2003 7:38:51 PM space_cowboy wrote:

Also, my teevee has a DVI/HDTV input, is this better than component input? Most of this new video stuff is pushing my knowledge to the limits.

Thanks, anyone can reply!

----------------

DVI (Digital Visual Interface)

The new kid on the HDTV connection block (some might call it the neighborhood bully), DVI is a one-way jack that's used to route digital bitstreams from a set-top box to a video display. Physically, it looks like a bigger version of VGA, with a D-shaped connector housing a formation of 18 pins.

DVI connections transmit signals in uncompressed form. Since no consumer video decks are capable of recording uncompressed high-def programs, this means no copying. The Hollywood studios, which pushed hard to include DVI jacks on HDTVs, like that ideaa lot!although it leaves viewers who've become accustomed to time-shifting and creating personal video libraries out in the cold. Digital connections like DVI can offer potential image quality benefits, however, since they eliminate unnecessary digital-to-analog conversion steps for signals being sent to video displays.

To further frustrate would-be pirates, the version of DVI found on HDTVs also employs a copy-protection scheme called HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) that was developed by computer chip-maker Intel. HDCP uses an authentication protocol to protect programs from being copied. The device on the transmitting endan HDTV satellite receiver, for examplemust first verify that the device on the receiving end is licensed to accept copy-protected content. If it is, a "hardware handshake" occurs so the program can be transmitted.(S&V mag)

So much for DVI2.gif