Best HD connection?

PhilMays

This weekend I bit the bullet and bought a Sony HD200 HD reciever and ordered the programing from Direct TV.

My question is...What is the best connection to the monitor? Currently I have a Composite video connection directly to my TV. I do not have a DVI connection on the TV but do have a RGB connection. Will RGB be a better quality connection than the Composit connection?

Thanks for the help.

You will not be able to get HD rez from composite because it can only pass roughly 200i-220i so RGB is the way to go for you.

I'm soon to be facing a bunch of problems when I go home for the holidays as my bro in-law just bought a panny 47. He was telling me he has been watching HDTV and how great the picture is so I asked him which receiver he bought and he doesn't have one. He couldn't understand why he needed one when it says on the TV that it's a HDTV!9.gif I left it at that because it's just easier to do it all when I get there. I can guarantee you all his video sources are connected with composite and his audio with analog connections. Combine that with fact that the panny's usually suck out of the box so I will have to do a lot of tweaks to the TV in addition to calibrating the video and audio. Funny thing is when we ended the conversation he was talking to me as if I did not know what I was talking about. Got to love the guys that go from a 20-inch TV to a RPTV and are now experts. Bet he has his contrast up around 90+.9.gif

----------------

On 11/10/2003 11:04:50 AM PhilMays wrote:

OK, perhaps I made a mistake....I have it connected with the three video cables, is that component? What I was asking about was the RGB single connection.

----------------

Are the three cable connections color-coded with a red, green, and blue connector? If so, that is the component connection. S-video is the connection that look like the mini-DIN (kinda like the PS/2 style keyboard and mouse connection on most PCs). The composite is the single RCA style connection (usually color-coded yellow).

Now, for the RGB connection, are you talking about the D-shaped 15-pin connection, like that found on PCs where you plug in the monitor? If you already using the component connection, than you already most likely doing the best. Does the HD-tuner also have this connection? If you have a spare PC monitor/video cable laying around, say than it may be worth trying. Look in the user's manual for your equipment and see what it recommends which connection to use to get the best possible picture.

I just wonder why the computer type connection wouldn't be better. Perhaps it's cheaper and neater to accomplish the same thing.

----------------

The 'high-density' VGA connector like nearly all computer monitors use is component video. The three colors come through three different wires. It's just a different form and should look just as good as the component video input with the three RCA connectors (red blue and green).

To get a little more technical, there are actually *five* signals, including vertical and horizontal synch. In the 3-wire version they are piggy-backed on two color wires. In the computer version they have separate wires. No big deal.