Do I need these?

BigBusa

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

British guys that supposely made some sweet sounding stuff. What do you know about them? Define "ready to go". Have you heard them?

Great sound, poor reliability. Seems you got some great feedback on Audiogon already. I would stay away. More power than you need anyways.

dean that feedback is from someone who I never even had a transaction with. Audiogon has a very poor feedback system. In turn, I left that person with a -4 feedback as well. Too bad we don't even know each other but have screwed up each others feedback rating.

How can they allow anyone to leave anyone a feedback without even being in a transaction?6.gif

I haven't heard these M&A pieces yet. It would be a leap of faith which is why I'm asking you all. The owner is a tech and has done some repair work to the pieces. He said they're ready to go (plug n play) now. We haven't spoken price yet. I think I want them but need some coaxing or ....not, before I jump.

-mr fickle

dean you said I don't need that much power but I think you're wrong ...I do.

I'm listening to steve winwoods highlife CD now with this 17WPC fisher x-100-3 amp ...and while it sounds good at reasonable volumes ...the bass punch pretty much falls out at anything above 1/2 volume. The woofers sound like butterfly wings amplified 100 times when I push them. No authority whatsoever ..they're just lost flapping back and forth.

With the 200wpc dynaco I could easily overpower the woofers. When I did they would snap, crackle and pop.

I really don't think 70wpc tube amplification is "too much". Afterall, the Khorns have a rated max of 100W.

You guys that are using 3 watt monoblocks are missing a lot of sound. There's no freakin way 3 watts is going to give you any kind of real bass at volume.

I had an idea that would be the excuse ...I mean, rationalization ...from the low watt camp. Maybe it's true ...maybe this 17wpc fisher amp does "suck".

On the other hand ...there's no way a pair of klipschorns will give "pant flapping bass". I don't care what you're driving them with, how close you're standing or how big your bell-bottoms are. That's a gross exaggeration and shouldn't be used to describe Khorn bass.

3 entries found for exaggeration.

ex·ag·ger·ate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-zj-rt)

v. ex·ag·ger·at·ed, ex·ag·ger·at·ing, ex·ag·ger·ates

v. tr.

To represent as greater than is actually the case; overstate: exaggerate the size of the enemy force; exaggerated his own role in the episode.

To enlarge or increase to an abnormal degree: thick lenses that exaggerated the size of her eyes.

v. intr.

To make overstatements.

I am listening to a very famous List Fantasia & Fugue, played on the 115 rank Walcker/Aeolian-Skinner organ at Methuen, MA. It shakes the house. The principals and mixtures are clean & sweet. The speakers are RF-7s and the amp is a pp using KT66s, triode, no feedback. I doubt the amp puts out over 8 Watts .. maybe 10, but not more than that.

What do people do with 200 Watts?

leok

I did not realize I was in the low watt camp since I have a few bigger watt amps...I simply don't have them connected to the k-horns because they do not benefit from the additional wattage in my system, as I mentioned before.

Sorry your k-horns don't produce decent bass, I assure you they can produce bass in some systems...my bell bottoms often flap.

Perhaps some other klipschorn owners, with the kind of amps you respect (over 100 watts), can chime is here and confirm or deny if their klipschorns produce adequate bass or not.

I think you should get yourself some big wattage amps and a couple of subwoofers to compliment your klipschorns to get the sound you are searching for. It is obvious that the bass-weak klipschorns and flea amps won't do it for ya.

I would also recommend staying away from mediocre vintage amplifiers, perhaps sticking to krell exclusively.

Thanks for the English lesson as well, I had no idea what exaggeration meant.

Regards,

Tony

Dean I think you are quite right, room, other system components, music preference all affect our opinions.

In my case; Concrete slab floors with marble tile, cinder block-rebar walls...all my speaker sound is being projected out into the room not absorbed by floors and walls in sympathetic vibration...I suspect that is why I get to squeeze every ounce (watt) out of the k-horns.

"Bell bottom's flappin"

Tony