La Scala AL-3 vs. ALK experience?

Rudy81

----------------

On 11/13/2003 12:22:43 PM Q-Man wrote:

Rudy,

Didn't your mother ever teach you not to hang out in a gang? This Forum is bad news and will lead you down the evil path of which there is no return.

I was perfectly happy with my pair of LaScalas untill I decided to get into home theater and found this Forum. But it has been fun.

John is right about the JBL 2404H tweeter. This mod is one of those night and day ones. The half dozen or so people that I let listen while I A/B stuff like this tweeter. When we listened to an A/B with a stock Klipschorn and one with the 290/311 and 2404H

the tweeter was the first thing they all commented on. Just like you are doing with the ALK network and K77.

There is no end, it's like a curse. Just when you think you have it right you discover something elce and your starting over again.
----------------

There is no return, that is for sure. As a relative novice in this arena, I can make one observation. No two people hear things exactly the same. Good thing, or else there would only be one manufacturer producing the perfect speaker, the perfect wire and connectors, the perfect amp etc. What fun would that be. Hey, some people swear by BOSE cubes and a sub.

For the time being, I will be happy with a good timbre matched HT system. I have been able to put together, what is for me, a nice Heritage HT system. I know many will look at my SS pre/pro and amps and think I have no clue how good it would sound with some good old tubes. Perhaps it is a good thing I have never heard tubes with my system. I really don't want to go down that evil path right now.

So far, I don't know anyone locally that uses tubes and Klipsch. In the mean time, I'm having a great time learning and listening!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy,

I don't know of anyone using tubes in their home theater set up. I wouldn't go there.

Don't feel that you have to change tweeters and such with your Heritage speakers. Just be thankful that you have Belles and a LaScala center. To me bass horns is where it's at. If you don't have bass horns, you don't have speakers. The LaScala center makes a big difference as you found out. I thing changing to a LaScala center was a major improvement in my home theater experience. I'm just glad to see you begining to experiment a little.

Q-man three things...

1) did you ever try to take the 511's below 500hz?? Say even to 400hz?? Maybe you did and I missed it.

2) my 290-16ks recently arrived, and JEEEEeeeeeeeeeezUS are they BIG!!!!! Actually, the convergence on my big screen suddenly started to become very 'unstable' and it took me a while to figure it out...thanks...

3) Your 311's look N-A-S-T-Y !! Let me know if you want to sandblast them SMMMMMmmmmmOOOOOoooooooooooooooth prior to shooting them with a finish coat.

TC

Rockets,

I put a 511 in Mike Lindseys LaScalas with the K55 drivers and the ALK network. All we measured it with was a sound level meter and warble test tones. It seemed to do alright at 400Hz. I would have to get into it more before I could recommend it to someone, but it did sound better then the K400 horn. The 511 didn't sound as good as the University Cobreflex horn did with the K55. The Cobreflex is a 250Hz horn and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone.

John was making fun of that 311 horn too. It is my worst looking one. The pair that I have in my Klipschorns look nice and I painted them with the same black lacquer that I painted the cabinet with.

I make a mistake and put one of my 290 drivers on my computer desk about 3' from the monitor. Good thing it has a degauss button.

I made a 3/4" plywood box to ship a 290 in to John. Even in the box the the 290 was attracting loose screws that I had on the table.

I'm getting OT here and I should probably start a new thread for this...my apologies

Q, I know you favor the Cobreflex, but honestly...I find them ugly. Not just ugly, but @#$%^&* ugly! Aside from that, I think it'd be a bear to make a 'sealed' cabinet with those horns having a split between them that'd make a hillbilly girl proud. (my apologies to the hillbilly girls reading this) Which leaves me with either hacking on these horns I just received (advertised as being 24"w, but actually 28") or using the 511's and pushing them below cutoff, OR forget the horns and follow JW w/ his 2123J's in order to maintain a DJK modified LS bass cabinet specs w/o doing major mods. Got all of that??

Since I now have the 290's, I'd prefer taking the 511 route, IF it's feasable. Reading about ALK's new extreme XO, has me wondering if this may not be even more feasable by limiting just how low one could push the 290 w/o fear of damaging the diaphragm due to over extension.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone to basically stop ME, the ignorant, from committing acts of stupidity...before I do something irreverseable, (damage!) or maybe have someone that's heard this/similar combo and thought it sounded unnatural could enlighten me.

Whew!

Thank you for the help! (again my apologies to the Hillbilly girls, ya'll look mighty fine..)

Rockets,

I dug up the plot I made of the Altec 511b and Klipsch K501 (Belle) horns. The test was done withOUT a mounting baffle. Both were just sitting on a chair. The K501 needs the baffle. That's why the big dip around 600 Hz. The Altech goes down to 400 with no trouble. The adaptor to mount the K55 to the horn is just a piece of particle board with the driver force-threaded into a hole. A LOT better adaptors are available!

AL K.

post-2934-13819250037592_thumb.gif

All these options.

I don't remember the throat size of the 511. The 290 and 311 throat size is 1 1/4". Actually measuring a little over 1 3/8". From what Al has also measured it seems like you can use the 511. I have a feeling that the 511 might have a 1" throat. If so, you will need an adaptor.

I'm finding that you will need to add a 6uF cap to the 13uF cap in the mid pass of the stock klipsch network. This should give you a crossover point of 400Hz with the 290.

----------------

On 11/13/2003 7:58:09 PM Q-Man wrote:

Rudy,

I don't know of anyone using tubes in their home theater set up. I wouldn't go there.

Don't feel that you have to change tweeters and such with your Heritage speakers. Just be thankful that you have Belles and a LaScala center. To me bass horns is where it's at. If you don't have bass horns, you don't have speakers. The LaScala center makes a big difference as you found out. I thing changing to a LaScala center was a major improvement in my home theater experience. I'm just glad to see you begining to experiment a little.

----------------

Q-Man:

The La Scala was certainly an improvement in overall speaker matching. I had a very nice pair of Chorus II's as center before, but the timbre differance was very noticeable. I'll tell you what, the bass the Belles and La Scala put out is simply awesome. I supplement the lower end with the SVS for movies and it is a very nice complement to the front 3.

I now have the speakers pretty well matched. I just need to get the highs matched up a little better.

----------------

On 11/13/2003 5:44:36 PM Rob P wrote:

Rudy...

Where are you? I am between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas and am driving my Klipschorns with tubes. You wouldn be welcome to come take a listen!----------------

Rob:

I live pretty close to you. I would love to hear your system. It has been about 18 years since I hear a pair of Khorns. I almost don't want to again....I know I'll want some, and I can't fit those monsters in my HT, I already measured. I will PM you later and maybe I can swing by some time for a listen. Thank you for offering.