Bass output to 1)mains 2) sub 3) both

dkp

I have a Yamaha 5560 receiver (about 1 year old) and am having trouble getting sound from the sub when the signal is sent ONLY to the sub. I get sound from the sub when I have the signal sent to BOTH the mains and the sub, but none when "sub only" is selected. Any thoughts?

David

Hertz,

I do like the sound set at both, I was just a bit concerned that I couldn't get the sound from the sub. I have RF-7s and an RSW-15. (RC-7 center channel) The sub is running directly from the sub output on the receiver. I believe that this is the only way run the wire from this particular receiver.

David

When you say "sub only" how are your mains set - to large? What about surround channels? Are you playing any source material that has content in the .1 channel? I suspect that with "sub only", it is only sending .1 material to the sub (and low bass from any small channels). If there is no .1 material, then the sub would be silent. But when you switch to "both," it sends all low bass from all channels to both the mains and the sub, so then you hear output from the sub.

DougDrake,

Hmmmmm. I have the mains set to "large" and don't have surrounds, so that setting is at "none." I wonder if you're onto something with the .1 source material. I'm guessing that the way to find out would be to check the back of the cd case to see how the music is encoded. If it is, could it be the cd changer not recognizing the .1 signal? (I am using a sony 200cd changer, although the model # escapes me. It is around 4-6 years old.)

David

• 1 month later...

Dougdrake's right on this one. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 with the same setting options and the same "symptoms." Set the receiver for Both. Set your mains to Large. The surrounds including Center I've found sound better set to Small even though that doesn't match what the manual suggests. Set to Small the sub seems to come in sooner and "round out the sound" in the room if that makes any sense.

I don't think that it is the source material. I am now using an SACD player which should have a signal for the .1. I've heard that this is a common problem with Yamaha recivers. I tried this again last night and still was unable to get any sound from the sub when the receiver sent the bass signal to the sub only. Weird.

David

Have you looked at your bass management settings in your receiver? How are they set? I'm not too familiar with Yamahas, but I think if they do not have an adjustable crossover point for the LFE (or sub) output, then it is fixed at 90Hz. If it is fixed, then it is odd you are not getting any sound from your sub at all, even with 2 channel CDs, which should still get frequencies below 90Hz or whatever crossover point you have selected.

With SACDs, and DVD-As if you have a universal player, the bass managment is dependent on the player, not the receiver, and with some of those (unfortunately), the crossover point is fixed. The 2 channel tracks on SACDs will only play on your two front speakers. The sub portion is only for the 5.1 tracks. I don't know what kind of SACD player you have but, see if it has the option to output signals to the sub also with 2 channel material. My Denon 2200 has a "bass enhancer" and it takes frequencies at 80Hz (the player's fixed crossover point) and lower and routes it to my sub. Hope this helps.