Dell Latitude C840 (off topic but relevent to using the board)

maxg

My wifes company has just taken delivery of the above portable. It has, I think a 15 inch screen.

Its natural resolution on this screen is an unbelivable 1600 * 1200 (our other portables are 1078 * 762).

Whilst this would be very nice for CAD work and heavy graphics it is very difficult to use for plain typing. The test is so small I am squinting permanently at the screen.

There was an option under the properties section of the display to set large fonts. I have done this but everything is still bloody small.

Before my eyes give out completely what other settings are there to make everything readable again???

HELP!!!

PS - live with the typos here - I cant see them to fix them.

dittoes to the middle age thing, I'm in the same boat. 50 years young and if my once-better-than-perfect vision goes downhill as much in the next 3 years as it has the last three I'll be loking for a white cane. :)

try this, right-click anywhere on a blank area of the desktop (not on an icon, IOW) and choose Properties from the bottom of the menu that pops up. Select the settings tab and look at the page that pops up. There should be a slider labeled in pixels, mine tops out at 1024 X 768 on my Dell Inspiron 5160 with XP. Windows 2000 will be similar. click and hold the slider, move it to the left, see if it will allow you to move down to 1024 x 768. If it does you're set. You will have to go back to wherever you changed the fonts (probably the Appearance tab) and un-do the changes you made earlier.

If this doesn't work post back here and we'll work something out.

Tom

Max is correct. That display has the maximum number of pixels. Just try the other lower resolutions until you get one that still looks okay. Actually, 800x600 will probably work okay, as it is evenly divisible into the 1600x1200.

If you have another monitor around, you can use an external monitor. Probably the easiest way to do it. The different resolutions don't map as well on the TFT displays as they do on the CRTs.

I'm going through that right now with a bunch of Latitude D800 models we just got where I work

Marvel

----------------

On 11/13/2003 9:55:01 AM maxg wrote:

There was an option under the properties section of the display to set large fonts. I have done this but everything is still bloody small.

----------------

LCD displays all have a native resolution that will look best. There is nothing you can do about that. Did you set the large fonts setting in the appearance tab, or the advanced button under settings? If you just changed it in the appearance tab, change it back to normal, and go into the advanced menu of the settings tab. You can then change the DPI of all of the screen fonts to large(120dpi) or any custom size up to 192 dpi. This still won't change the font size in a word processor though. The only way around that one is to write in larger font size and then change it back 12pt after you are finished and ready to print. If you still have trouble in Internet Explorer, you can also change the text size in View->Text Size. Play around with all of those options until you find something that isn't too large, but readable.

You might try switching to a different default font and/or size

Verdana Looks like this

System Looks like this

Comic Sans Serif Looks like this

Arial Looks like this

Courier New Looks like this

Tahoma Looks like this

Arial Black Looks like this

Arial Narrow Looks like this

You might try switching to a different default font

Verdana Looks like this

System Looks like this

Arial Looks like this

Tahoma Looks like this

You might try switching to a different default font or size

Verdana Looks like this

System Looks like this

Arial Looks like this

Tahoma Looks like this

Thanks guys,

I tried everything and in the end have gone back to my own portable which runs in its native resolution at 1078 * 762 and is readable.

This seems just as fast to me and has the added benefit of a DVD writer on board - so I am not exactly suffering.

Think I will let my wife have the bright spangly new one....Her eyes are better than mine anyway.