UPGRADE X-OVER KLIPSCHORN: GOOD OR NOT

lorcoll

Hi.

Excuse me for bad english.

I'm new in this forum.

I live in Italy and here many people love Klipsch speakers like me.

I have 1980 Klipschorn (AK-2 cross/K-33E/K-55M/K-77)never modified.

I am very satisfied but I need more High from my tweeters.

In this forum it's not clear if the replacement of caps in the crossover is definitely an improvement or not.

I have ask to Klipsch for it and Steve Phillips (Tech Support) has told me:

"Hi Lorenzo,

You could change the caps to polypropylene film and aluminum foil.

There are some on our forum that have suggested the AK-3 was an improvement over the AK-2.

I have never had the opportunity to listen to the two different networks.

they also suggest the AK-3 was the best of the AK, AK-2.

Hope this helps"

But I ask you: I COULD change or I MUST change the caps.

I like very much anybody tell me his experience after the replacement.

I have read extremely different things about ALK cross-over and I think it is not the time for this change until I have a clear idea of their sound.

I have tried the mod on cross in my Heresy I (Squawker and Tweeter on Tap 2 and 1 instead of 3 and 2)but I have returned on the original setup that sounds with more focus and dinamic; this is the motive of my indecision on modify of my speakers.

Thanks to all that can help others like me.

My system:

Pro-Ject RPM-9

Denon DL-103

Phono Transformer Audio Innovations Series 1000

Lector CDP 0.5T

Conrad Johnson PV-8

Golden Tube Audio SE-300B on mid-high (without any filter)

Conrad Johnson MV-50 on bass (through a simple potent.)

Klipschorn 1980

Lorenzo Colletto.

I don't see no Bad English! 2.gif

There is probably not much you can do to increase the tweeter output over the AK-2. High quality capacitors like Solen or Hovland will reduce losses so that the maximum signal gets through the filter and may help by a fraction of a dB. However, the premium caps will improve clarity more than anything else. The ALK crossovers will do the same thing; I have a set. Mine were built by Al and were not home-made from low quality parts.

Perhaps your room has too much soft furniture and drapes (curtains). Those things absorb high frequencies a lot.

Thank you John for reply,

my question is (apart the little lack in treble) if the change in the caps or inductance (air core) improves significantly the sound and, particularly for AK-2 xover, the update on AK-3 can give objectively better sound.

Many people change the diaphragms in their tweeters (K-77), why they do it? When everyone knows the time to change the diaphragms.

Many thanks.

I have not hear either the AK-2 or AK-3, so I cannot tell you if it is a noticable change or not.

The people I know change their diaphragms after they fail. That's an easy decision. Sometimes you can hear the voice coil rubbing before it fails. That is another sign it needs replacement.

If you have K-77s with the original diaphragms, they are rated at 2 continuous watts and 20 peak watts. The K-77-Ms are rated at 5 watts continuous and 50 peak watts. All replacement diaphragms now have ribbon leads to the voice coils and the 5/50 watt rating.

I don't believe replacing the diaphragms will increase output. If you have the AlNiCo K-77, it may have lost some magnet strength. AlNiCo can be remagnetized to full strength by a special machine. I only know of one such machine in the U.S., though.

On another topic, can you translate "testastretta"? It is a term Ducati uses describing their engines.

Thank you very much, John, for your help - you are very active in this forum and we are happy for this.

The literally translation of "testastretta" is "narrow head"

and it is a kind of Ducati motor.

For the AK-2 I think I'll replace the caps in the tweeter circuit (3 caps of 2microfarad) and then I decide if I have to change the inductance on the squawker and the 13 microfarad cap, what do you think about?

What can I do for the woofer circuit?

Newly thanks.

Lorenzo,

I'd replace the tweeter caps right away. I replaced the 13 uF squawker cap in my Type AAs and could not tell the difference. I think you should replace the 4 mH woofer inductor with an air-core inductor like a Solen "Perfect Lay" or an Alpha-Core foil inductor. That will reduce bass distortion some and stabilize the crossover frequency. Iron-core inductors will "saturate" (sort of an overload). When they do, their inductance changes, changing the crossover point. The same inductor on the squawker doesn't see as much power and may not need replacement since lower power means less tendency to "saturate" and change inductance value.

As to the Ducati (I have the hots for an ST2 or ST4), Does "Narrow Head" mean a narrow included angle between the intake and exhaust valves? That is a common feature of racing engines.