Good dvd player for a dlp?

jzoz01

I picked up a Samsung DLP yesterday (43" HLN4365w). Just got it hooked up and I have to say i'm not as impressed as i was hoping. It looks amazing at the store, but when I get it home and hook it up to cable and a dvd player it seems really pixilated. Is there some kind of setup/calibration I need to do? Also, I'm using a Sony DVP-ns755 DVD player. Would it help to get a better dvd player? I can't afford much over $300 right now, if the difference is going to mariginal, i'd rather wait and get a Denon 2900 in a couple months. Is there anything else I should consider?

There is some calibration you can do. Refer to the owners manual. Also you can pick up a calibration dvd and go through that. The problem is you are multipling all of the problems in your feed. For a dvd player check out the samsung hd931. It upscales all of the movies to 1080i. It is a great player. You have to use the DVI to do this. I am going to pick one up for my self in the next couple of days.

FIRST:

What sort of cable are you using? Coax, composite (RCA cables), S-video, or component video? If you are using either of the first two, thats your problem. You should be using component video. If you are not, go to Radio Shack or Circuit City and get a <$50 component video cable, it will make a WORLD of difference. After that, it should look 95% to perfection from the get go, so with a component video cable and everything working properly, it should be BETTER than the in-store unit.

Let us know, you have a good TV and it should be killer.

Also, is your DVD player progressive scan? You can get good, name brand progressive scan players for under $100 (at Target, for example, there is a progressive scam Panasonic for $80.) Your TV is progressive scan and it would be a waste not to have that going. The Denon you want to upgrade to will probably make a pretty big difference because it is such a good TV (I want one BAD.)

----------------

On 11/16/2003 8:54:44 PM mca_bagom wrote:

BTW how much you pay for the TV? I was about to get the 50in but instead paid off my car.
14.gif

----------------

I got it at work for about $2400 after taxes. Sweet deal. Oh and 0% financing till jan 2005.

• 11 months later...