Multiple Sub Question

Diss

I currently have a RSW-15 in a room about 23' wide by 17' long. From what I read I have my sub in the worst place ever, its right beside a opening in the wall going to the kitchen. So im wondering about maybe a couple or single SVS 20-39 CS . My question is how do you run these along with the RSW-15. I'm new to this but it seems like you could reach the limits of one setup while the other still has room to push. Like one could start distorting and the others still want more power. How do you run these so you can get the most out of both?

Hope someone can decypher what I'm trying to say.

Thanks

We'll what I mean is like when I crank up the HT watching LOTR Twin Towers during the opening scene(Gandolf and the demon), Say I cranked it as fars as possible without bashing my RSW-15. Would the 2 SVS be at the same point of fixen to distort, or would they be able to keep going?

Thanks

That is why there are level controls (volume controls) on subwoofers so they can all be matched for output. You would need to use a HT set-up calibration disc and a SPL meter to do it correctly. You are not getting alot of major output below 30hz with that RSW-15, the SVS units would be capable of more low frequency output depending on the model that you choose. Also a pair of subwoofers will almost always outperform a single one, depending on the brand and model of the single one of course.

----------------

On 11/17/2003 1:38:37 PM Diss wrote:

We'll what I mean is like when I crank up the HT watching LOTR Twin Towers during the opening scene(Gandolf and the demon), Say I cranked it as fars as possible without bashing my RSW-15. Would the 2 SVS be at the same point of fixen to distort, or would they be able to keep going?

Thanks

----------------

I think dual 20-39CS' would be a good match in terms of output above 30hz. Down low the RSW15 will be weak in comparison to the dual SVS 20-39CS'. I think a better choice would be the PB2-Plus though.

Why do you prefer the PB2-plus vs the dual 20-39's. I have never heard a svs or too many other home subs so I have no clue about there output.

And one other thing does it hurt for a sub to be raised off the ground about a 1' or 2' especially one of the cylinder subs?

Thanks

----------------

On 11/17/2003 3:21:36 PM Diss wrote:

Why do you prefer the PB2-plus vs the dual 20-39's. I have never heard a svs or too many other home subs so I have no clue about there output.

----------------

If you're considering the dual 20-39CS package from SVS, that costs $1149 and dual 20-39PCi's cost $1200. If you're not familiar with the SVS line, the two above mentioned options are practically the same. The 20-39CS package is two unpowered cylinders with a seperate Samson S700 amplifier and the 20-39PCi is the same as the CS but it has an amplifier built into the tube.

The step up from that is the Plus line which uses a much better woofer named the dB12. The dB12 woofer is capable of ~3-4dB more clean output than the ISD woofer(the woofer in the PC/CS subs) and the PB2 Plus uses two of them. In addition more clean output from the woofer the PB2-Plus has three 4" instead of the two 4" ports from two CS/PCi cylinders. This does two things for you, the first is better performance down low and the second is it gives you the option to "tailor" the sound to your liking. SVS gives you port plugs(fancier name for foam1.gif), when no port blockers are inserted, the subwoofer is tuned to 25hz. With one port blocked it's tuned to 20hz and with two ports blocked it's tuned to 16hz. The lower you tune the better performance you get down low, but the less overall output you get, you can experiment and see what you like best.

One other small but important feature the PB2 Plus sub has is the continously variable instead of just the 0 or 180 positions. It's good to have it so you can eek that last few dB's out of your system.