Tuners

kuisis

There was a thread on this topic (more or less) recently on the 2-channel forum IIRC.

But, I'll still repeat myself (I'm like that)...

I am awfully enamored of my odd-looking but excellent-sounding early-1960's Sherwood S-3000 mono tube FM tuner. An MPX adaptor can always be added if one really wants stereo (not worth the loss in S/N, IMO). I am sure that the whole Sherwood family of tuners, including the stereo tube tuners would be in the same league, so I could recommend them without ever hearing one.

They were kinda ugly beasts, though... I think that's what keeps the price down.

----------------

On 11/19/2003 10:37:11 AM Mark Hardy wrote:

There was a thread on this topic (more or less) recently on the 2-channel forum IIRC.

But, I'll still repeat myself (I'm like that)...

I am awfully enamored of my odd-looking but excellent-sounding early-1960's Sherwood S-3000 mono tube FM tuner. An MPX adaptor can always be added if one really wants stereo (not worth the loss in S/N, IMO). I am sure that the whole Sherwood family of tuners, including the stereo tube tuners would be in the same league, so I could recommend them without ever hearing one.

They were kinda ugly beasts, though... I think that's what keeps the price down.

seduction%20system.jpg"

----------------

I think they're beautiful. My father had one when I was a kid. I will own one soon myself.

In the meantime, I am using my kenwood kr-9600 (ss) as a tuner with my mac/marantz tube amp/preamp. Works and sounds great but takes away from the "tube" sound.

Gary:

Lest I leave folks with the wrong impression, I too am OK with the appearance of the Sherwoods. I am even more OK with the sound... esp. for the $30 I paid at an antique radio fleamarket for an almost-new condition S-3000 in its original box.

The Sherwood cosmetics are a bit of acquired taste, though, not as elegant as the Scotts or the timeless Marantz 10B. Now, h-k made some pretty funny looking tube tuners, as well as some nice looking ones. Of course, there was some very elegant-looking h-k solid state hardware in the mid/late 1970's.

Hey, MY father had an EICO HFT-90 when I was growin' up... another cosmetically challenged offering (although I like the old, brass-faced EICO esthetic). I have one of those, too, but it isn't up to the sound quality of the Sherwood (think some new caps might help).