FedEx breaks "sonic weld"

HornEd

Well, it finally happened, a Klipsch KLF 30 arrived yesterday battered by FedEx and with a "clunking" inside. Closer inspection shows nothing behind the exponential horn... so the clunk seems to be a driver that has broken loose from its "sonic weld."

While entitled to the benefits from insurance, the FedEx process seems to be long and tenuous... and, therefore, not worth waiting for. It seems there ought to be an easier remedy for the problem. Can anyone help me with the way to bang this puppy together again? Smash.gif HornEd

HornEd,as Boa once said "I feel your pain".It's a shame

that a person is unable to get an item from point A to point B these days.If its not problems with the carrier

then its the dummy that packs the item.I'm still thinking about the start-up company "Circus Express". Wonder what a bunch of clowns will work for these days?

Hat.gif

Keith

HornEd I had this problem with UPS when they shipped me an rc3 the coil had broken off the horn and was rattling around inside I decided to try fixing it instead of making a claim I found some superglue made for plastic and glued the coil back on has been three months now and it is working great hope this helps

I would say to get ahold of Trey Cannon at Klipsch and see what he has in mind for fixing that.

I have had good luck with both my KV3 and my KG.5's that were both shipped using UPS.....but with all the horror stories on here I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Good Luck

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Hey Keith, I have an idea! Just buy some chimpanzees to work for your new company. Give them drivers training, feed em a few bananas and your all set!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell them if they don't drop anything...they get extra bananas. You'll get the same quality work at a gigantic price cut.$$$$$$$ Smile.gif

Mike

Mike,sounds like an idea!

I'll give you the details on my latest experience. Ordered demo pair of KSP-S6's from dealer.Salesperson checked em out and said they worked/looked great. Mr.Shipping Boy laid one speaker on back in bottom of box and laid other face to face on top on other speaker.Evidently figured angles were meant to match. Anyway,many miles and UPS man having his way with them later,they are now junkers.Mr UPS man will get another shot at em on the return trip! Eek.gif:

Keith

cwm26.gifcwm26.gifcwm31.gifcwm36.gifcwm9.gifcwm9.gif

Well, gang, I have removed all of the speakers and reviewed the interior damage. The driver came off the exponential horn and its cables came loose. It also knocked off one of the cables to the tweeter. Some chips off the magnet occurred... but fortunately, the crossover looks undamaged.

I am going to reattach the cables to all the speakers, reset the loose driver and see what works. Oh, yeah, and I have a quadruple root canal to look forward to on Thursday. We will see how it goes. HornEd

By dropping a KLF from 4' or pushing one from upright to on its back, the midrange driver can be pulled right off the threaded flange of the horn. That's undoubtedly what happened to yours while in the hands of the Evil Shippers. You've already figured out the cure. Our drop tests reveal this happens only under severe mishandling, but we are upgrading packaging on all new models.

I'm sorry to go off-topic, but BobG's post triggered a thought....

Is it just me, or does that sound like a cool job to have? You know, the speaker engineer/designer/packaging dude comes to you with his latest creation and the first thing you do is to start dropping it from different heights. Followed by some slams & drop kicks. Once you're done, you call them to come "pick up the pieces". Would that be fun or what!? Sorry - guess I'm just sick in that way. :-)

OTOH, I hope Klipsch realizes that they can save money by not having anyone in-house to do that kinda testing. Seems to me that FedEx and UPS is doing that for them now. :-)))

Tom Adams

Testing to failure is one of the most sought after jobs in aerospace. Most of us crunch numbers all day (boring), while these guys are breaking things (way cool). The waiting list is long and the turnover (pun intended) is low.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Tom,

The problem with the FedEx or UPS testing lab (aka "real world") is that it is an UNCONTROLLED test. When you get your bashed up box with the various speaker-like bits and pieces inside, you have no data. What (?) was the force applied to the exterior of the (clearly labelled "fragile") box: 10,000 foot pounds of force (they dropped a 1,000 pound box on it from 10 feet in the air when the guy on the loading dock dropped something off the fork lift); 20,000 ft/lb (the truck backed over it); was the force applied as a sudden one time only impact (LD-3 container set down on top of it while loading plane); was it repetitive series of smaller impacts over time (was between van door and shelves, driver had to slam the door really, really hard at every stop because something was in the way...)

As you can see, testing is not just fun; it requires deligence and a proclivity for noting and recording fine points of detail without being distracted by flying bits of medium density fibreboard.

By the way, every computer technician I've ever worked with is a firm believer in the four inch drop test to determine whether a system is really broken or just being ornery.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Thanks to the advice of Trey Cannon, a half dozen spare "damoly plugs" and an assortment of Teflon tape, hammer, pliers, drill, screwdriver, putty and paint... plus some cheerleading commentary by BobG and BlakeT... and the freight damaged pair of KLF 30's are looking and singing like they were born to. cwm32.gif

I am sure that if I let the freight company pick up the speakers to assess the damage... it would have been many months before issues were resolved. Sleep.gif

But, overall, the experience proves that doing business on this BB can work well for the members... it just doesn't solve the freight issues that haunt vintage models.

Next time I am going to specify shipping by "T-T-Keith's Bungling Bros, Dropem & Daily Freight Services!" and buy a lottery ticket. Biggrin.gif HornEd

cwm42.gif

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-17-2001 at 07:48 AM

Hey I'm reading along here and thinking,that tester dude was here at my house just the other day!He drove a brown truck and wore brown clothes!

Just as Ray said I wonder how much force was applied to

crack the cabinet,across both 6 1/2" woofers,of one of the pair of KSP-S6's this guy delivered.Anyway,they are now being retested on the return visit to the dealer.

I'm convinced it is a waste of time to try shipping speakers that are very large or very heavy.Good luck to anyone with the guts to try it.cwm32.gif

Keith