More extended highs for AA network

Different

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick,

There is good reason they may sound hot. This bridging mod and the lower loss Hovland caps casue the tweeter to receive more energyue to lower loss. This is only a good thing if your system and listening room needs more highs. If not, you would probably be among the people who like the old Alnico K77 tweeter and/or paper in oil caps. These changes could be doing for you what a low loss tweeter filter plus a "L" pad would do without the nice adjustment an adjustable L pad could give you! This mod does NOT correct the entire network, it just reduces the missmatch casued by the poorly designed tweeter filter and adds a stopband notch. This moves it toward the so-called "elliptic filter" of the later Klipsch networks (like the AL-3, AK-2, AK-3, AB-2, AB-3, to name a few). The tweeter filters in these are very similar to the high filter in the new ES600 extreme-slope network I just posted a few days ago. Half of it anyhow!

Al K.

This configuration with the poly caps is much better. The output from the tweeter is a few db higher than the squaker when measured at the mouths of the horns with music. Tomorrow I think I'll switch the K77s with the Heresys agian. I put the mud magnet K77s in the horns to juice up the highs a couple of months ago. This should even out the sound perfectly until I can get my ALKs built. That won't be until after hunting season and Christmas though.

This mod takes out a PITA blare in a trumphet that has bugged me for twenty-five years. Thanks Al. It must have been that 3500khz bump at the K77 Fs that John Warren plotted a few weeks ago. The slope of the graph you posted eliminates that bugger.

Rick

Shawn,

You weren't supposed to ask that question! The fact is that everybody with one of those networks I listed earlier has been listening to an extreme-slope tweeter filter all along! I just haven't mentioned it before! 11.gif

The filter (by computer analysis) cuts off at 5973 Hz and reaches "arc top" level of 23 dB at 5216 Hz. This is a ratio of 1.15:1 (very sharp) and represents 138 dB / Octave and is equivalent to a 23 rd order Butterworth filter over that segment! The fact is, it even used a trick of choosing the passband ripple during the synthesys to casue an output cap that goes through a huge value to a negative value. This allows it to be totally removed from the filter as it passes through infinite value! My ES600 does the exact same thing! I really wonder who at Klipsch desinged that filter! BTW, if you do a search, you might find where I reverse engineered it and posted the results on the board. The title was something like "Clip the elliptic filter - maybe not", or somethig like that. I don't remember.

Al K.

Al,

Opps, sorry. Curiosity got the best of me. :)

That is pretty forward thinking of Klipsch in those networks, I hadn't realized anyone but Joseph/JSE had done anything like this in a commercial product.

On those networks did the squaker have a low pass and if so was it also elliptic?

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn,

NO! That's why the impedance is not constant. To be constant impedance the filter in each crossover pair (highpass and lowpass) need to have nearly the same slope. This is so the reqctance slopes of each filter are equal and opposite at thier inputs, thus, the reactance canceles out leaving pure resistive impedance. The Klipsch networks I listed only go half way. Only the tweeter filter is extreme-slope. The squawker filters are just a single cap, or a cap and an inductor (N=1 or N=2) at the crossover. You can add to that the rolloff of the squawker driver. In addition, the large inductance of the autoformer begins to act as one exta element way down low. This helps keep deep woofer frequencies off the squawker.

Al K.

I can't wipe the smile off my face. I finished swapping the mud and alnico tweeters about an hour ago. While listening to a CD I made of Aker Bilt(sp?) an involuntary smile, broad grin really, crept across my face. As he played his sax the drummer was ticking the cymbals with a brush. The stroke and swirl were perfect and when he stroked a little harder to hit the base of the brush, just right!

I just mught keep these Klipschorns. (Ha Ha)

Rick

I've started another thread (Scratch Built Type A), in which I ask a few general questions regarding component choices. I realize that many of you have chosen another route design-wise, but if any of you have a moment, I'd appreciate any opinions you may have.

Thanks,

Ben

All this information is very good and useful, but I would still like to know if anyone has tried "Different's" .01mfd bypass and if so how did it sound? Perhaps "Different" could give us a report? I think I will invest in a premium grade 1.0 mfd cap and see what occurs with my AA type LaScalas as per Al's suggestion. I'm still trying to "bull" through the calculations provided---------- 2.gif