Getting Ready to Rumble..SVS Style

JewishAMerPrince

I just got an email from Erik at SVS that my long awaited PB2+ was shipped on Friday. I sit here with mixed emotions. Getting ANY new piece of gear is exciting, but from all the reports of household damage I've read, I'm also somewhat scared!!! I followed Tom's recommendation and went for the Big Boy instead of the PB2 ISD. I Hope I made the right choice since it was a long wait!

Jerry Rappaport 9.gif

About time you start a rumble.1.gif No HT is serious when the all important sub is missing.

Now the Hollywood aliens and Arnold Schwartz Und Eggers will sound like they all won the elections.And when Arnold starts to speak his fluent accccccent the whole room will shake in fear.

Guest Anonymous

Jewish american prince,

I'm smiling for you, I'm sure you will get the rumble in the jungle, just hope that if your married the WAF factor is ok, these subs rock!!! I got the bigger baby, B4-plus and I know you will be able to not just hear the bass but FFFEEEEELLLLLL it too. Bass on11.gif

Smilin10.gif

Thanks guys!

A little over a year ago I was very happy with the output on my 2039PCi. It had great sound and good feel in the under 2000 cu ft room it was in. Then, WE moved to a new house with a huge family room attached to a huge kitchen both with high ceilings. Needless to say my whole system sounded...well,..it needed help. This started a chain of upgrades. A new big screen. Hi Def Sat TV. Then 3 series References yeilded to 7 series. A Denon 3801 receiver was replaced by Rotel separates and last but far from least I am now filling the bass hole with the PB 2+. It's been a long and expensive haul, but worth every penny. Fortunatly,I have a great bride who understands the importance of my AV system to me and has let my system upgrades take precident over new furniture for the living room. (Of course it did help that I recently replaced HER puny Yamaha keyboard with a new Story & Clark grand piano). Now she enjoys watching movies with realistic sound. The whole world of high end AV has been a real eye opener for her. Before we got together three years ago her idea of watching a movie at home was VHS through a 27" stereo TV with a mono VCR and, litening to music only occurred on the CD player in her Honda. Now it's SHE that says..."can we watch a movie" and when she replaced her Honda this year with a PT Cruiser SHE insisted on getting the upgraded sound system. I guess the bug can be contageous! I've been trying to pre-condition her that something big and awesome is about to arrive, so that the sheer physical size of the PB2+ won't be too intimidating.

JR1.gif

Well....It's finally here...The mighty PB2+.... Somewhat of a letdown after all the hype and a months wait. Sure is real ugly by comparison to the more elegant SVS Cylinders. Very poor fit and finish. However, it sounds pretty good, and after only about an hour of listening I can hear the potential. I need to set it up properly this weekend before giving full judgement.

JR

"Very poor fit and finish."

Poor fit and finish,do you say the finish is not consistent,not uniform?Now if the fit is poor,the amp plate is fixed using nails?

LOL

HA HA

I told you Prince(hey you are a real prince no?)a prince must get the Aerial Acoustics SW12.IMMACULATE fit and finish and a real wood finish to drool over...plus great performance(around SVS Ultra I would say).But its around $4000(hey a prince has mucho $$$$$$$$ after all)

if you are a prince of a smaller country(small country with mucho...$$$$$$$$$)

You can content yourself with a little Revel B15(a Madrigal familly product...like Mark Levinson 1.gif )

Its fit and finish are VERY GOOD and it performs...LIKE A BEAST FROM THE EAST

1.gif

Just enjoy your SVS

----------------

On 11/26/2003 9:32:47 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

Well....It's finally here...The mighty PB2+.... Somewhat of a letdown after all the hype and a months wait. Sure is real ugly by comparison to the more elegant SVS Cylinders. Very poor fit and finish. However, it sounds pretty good, and after only about an hour of listening I can hear the potential. I need to set it up properly this weekend before giving full judgement.

JR
----------------

What do you find poor about the fit and finish?

----------------

On 11/26/2003 6:03:14 PM TheEAR wrote:

I told you Prince(hey you are a real prince no?)a prince must get the Aerial Acoustics SW12.IMMACULATE fit and finish and a real wood finish to drool over...plus great performance(around SVS Ultra I would say).But its around $4000(hey a prince has mucho $$$$$$$$ after all)

----------------

Aerial probably charges you the cost of an SVS PCi for that gorgeous finish1.gif, but I have to admit it is simply stunning to see in person. It might be the best looking sub I've seen.

"Aerial probably charges you the cost of an SVS PCi for that gorgeous finish"

You are joking or you dont know how capable the Aerial SW12 is,its trounces the PCi.The amp and the woofer is much more capable,the 12" woofer is a 35lbs beast capable of 2" piston travel.The PCi can only dream,dont try to compare anything below a SVS SS to the Aerial SW12.The SS will have a bit more output,and still not the fir and finish of the SW12.Not a fat chance buddy.

Hear me the SW12 eats the PCi for lunch.And spits the parts

1.gif

----------------

On 11/26/2003 8:30:46 PM TheEAR wrote:

"Aerial probably charges you the cost of an SVS PCi for that gorgeous finish"

You are joking or you dont know how capable the Aerial SW12 is,its trounces the PCi.The amp and the woofer is much more capable,the 12" woofer is a 35lbs beast capable of 2" piston travel.The PCi can only dream,dont try to compare anything below a SVS SS to the Aerial SW12.The SS will have a bit more output,and still not the fir and finish of the SW12.Not a fat chance buddy.

Hear me the SW12 eats the PCi for lunch.And spits the parts

1.gif
----------------

In no way was I comparing the performance of the two subs, I know full well no PCi can even begin to compete with the SW12. I was just commenting on the finish.

Frankie:

Let's see..what I find lacking in the fit and finish. The top of the sub has waves in the woodwork indicating poor milling and sanding. The highly touted two part polyurathane finish looks cheesy and somewhat 60ish tacky. My expectations were established by my prior experience with the SVS 2039PCI which is extremely well built in every detail, and is very elegant in it's own way. I do realize it is nearly impossible to make a box that is the size of a baby elephant appear elegant, but a more generic and less cheesy looking finish, even matte black, would have helped. SVS has offerred to make everything right, and I didn't even have to ask....now that's class! SVS is a class company, that's part of the reason for my dissapointment with this particular product. They are the Bass Authority when it comes to sound..but they need a bit of help with their cabinet work.

JR

Jerry,

This worries me,it tells me they may be rushing the cabinets out as fast as they can(demand here),so I am doing well to wait for the PB2-Ultra,and at the same time order the B4-Plus.Both have real wood finish.

They have far fewer high end subs to make and this should guarantee I get great products when I order.Plus I will call SVS and make sure they take their time and not rush anything out.Plus a good tip helps 1.gif

----------------

On 11/26/2003 10:13:20 PM TheEAR wrote:

Jerry,

This worries me,it tells me they may be rushing the cabinets out as fast as they can(demand here

EAR

I really do think you are 100% right on that point. On very close examination all 4 top corners have different shapes, one is even flattened a bit. This is not atypical of a rushed job. My biggest beef is with the finish itself. It's not very uniformly applied and is way too 60ish glittery. They would have been much better off with matte black.

JR