Heresy Tweeter problem

edward897

I have a pair of '80 Heresys. One of the K77 tweeters quit working. I opened the back and checked all the connections and they look good, nothing loose. I disconnected the tweeter leads and hooked the speaker wires directly to the tweeter and it makes sound. So I hooked it back up to the crossover and it works fine for a while then goes out again. Anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,

Ed

----------------

On 11/26/2003 5:32:52 PM edward897 wrote:

It measured like it was open then it would play a little.

----------------

Probably a dead or almost dead tweeter diaphragm. The enamel coating on the voice coil is probably partially gone...

Try flipping a functioning tweeter with the bad one and see where the problem follows.

Rob

Yes, most likely a dying tweeter. (Been there, done that). The diaphram is easily replaced fairly inexpensively. Contact forum member BEC at bcrites@cswnet.com. He can fix you up with a new diaphram and if you feel that you are unable to change it out yourself will do it for a small additional charge. I have bought three tweeter diaphrams from him and can recommend him with no reservations.

Rick

This is what I have found wrong with a few of these tweeters. I bet the male disconnect on the tweeter is loose. It ratates side to side on it's rivit like connection, it should not move. In one position you will have sound and in another you won't. The original diaphragms have a hair like wire lead connected to this disconnect. Replacement diaphragms havs a study ribben wire and can handle this slight movement.

Rotate the male disconnect on the tweeter untill you find the working position. Then epoxy or super glue it in place. If it's not too late the tweeter should be fine. If not, it's time to replace the diaphragm.

I've told everyone on this Forum a number of times to epoxy the disconnects in plase on these tweeters. The hair like wires break very eacy.