rega original vs. rega 2000, which is better & why

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking to get a cd player for the 2 channel system I am putting together, and have seen a lot of rega 2000's for sale on audiogon. If I was looking to spend up to 750 for a player which is the best way to go? I THINK I would like to get a original rega, but would like to know the similarities and differences between the 2. Also I would like to know the general consesus on which is the best analog sounding cd player for under 750, even if is not he rega.

Thanks in advance

Smilin2.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the original Rega at a local new friends house that owns Klipsch horns with my amps and preamp. I think it sounds good. I just think it can be bettered. I haven't heard the Ah ! I just have this feeling from what I have read review wise and what Tom Lacourte here on the Klipsch forum told me on the phone that the Latest Ah! is a great player. There are major differences between the Ah! 99 you heard and the Ah! 4000. All reviews I have read say it was a big step up while that is not the case with the new Rega 200 which I have heard you even say a good while back.

Craig

Guest Anonymous

Kh,

Tell me what your thoughts are re: the rega vs the tjoeb from your own experience. I thank you in advance, for I do not know anybody around here who owns either.

Smilin10.gif

I would not really consider the Rega 2000. I had both the original and the 2000 for a comparison at my place and didn't care for the 2000. I own an original. It's a nice affordable CD player. If you are interested in a tube output unit then I'd look at an Audio Note. You see their CDP2 on Audiogon from time to time at 750-1000 US. A Rega as a transpot and a DAC 1 from Audio Note can get you pretty far.

Guest Anonymous

Painful

Appreciate the input, and I can definatly spend the grand if it's a worthwhile noticable difference. Today I bouth the scott 272, 233, and 299d, I will probably sell one of them after listening to which i think sound best, they will be shipped to craig to have them put together right....

All help is appreciated, but maybe I SHOULD just get a rega original to get started, I would like more feedback

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

I just have not heard any tube cd player, I am only going on what youy klipsch guys are saying. In chicago only FRIKIN BEST BUY carries klipsch(what a shame)Tweeter used to and they would special order for me, but I want to here these thing on cornwalls. Apples to apples, not oranges. And yes I have the denon 2900, and for sacd it does sound great, but for my older cds, more than 500 the only player it sound pretty good on is my multichanger sony 300 disc. I would really like to get a more analog sound!!!!

All help is appreciated and I am willing to experiment.

BTW neo i was bidding on the shanling on ebay and 5 minutes before I was going to buy it the seller removed it from auction(something fishy there) it is the best looking cd I have ever seen, But i don't know what it sounds like9.gif2.gif

Smilin

I own an original Rega (now deceased) and had an occasion to compare it directly to the Rega 2000. In my opinion, much of what makes the original so desirable was not the case with the 2000. The 2000 seemed more detailed, but at the expense of smoothness. That's not to say the 2000 isn't a good player but just that it doesn't have as much of the characteristic that helps the original tame the horns.

I recently decided to take a chance on another Rega originalit should arrive this week. The reason is that I just think that for the price and with the horns the Rega original holds a lot of value. I'd have to spend a lot more to get similar quality and characteristics in any other player. So wish me luck on a second try.

Barrets carries Klipsch in the Chicago land area, check it out.

I own the Tjoeb, it may not win the looks like a tank award, but its the technolgy and time that went into voiceing this great sounding player that costs.

Tube output & 24/192khz upsampling,you can't touch any player out there new for less than three grand with this technology, it can be had with the Tjoeb for about a grand, don't forget to ask Kevin at Upscale for some NOS Amperex's to go with it.

I think I own a pretty good Reference Anolog system, with well recorded cd's the tjoeb does a respectable job of getting me real close to my much preferred reference sound.

Tom

Guest Anonymous

Tom,

I really appreciate your input and it really seems to make sense, 2 questions, 1) do you live in my area and can I come by to demo it? 2) where is barrett audio, as I have never heard of them.

Thanks for the input

Smilin3.gif

BTW does anyone in the chicago area sell tjoeb that you know of? or is it just availabe on the internet?