Sub cables...

ekbriggs

Thinking of upgrading my subwoofer cable...What do you guys think are the best sub cables for the money (not passive speakers cables but powered sub cables...thought i should clear that up right away)? What kind do you use in you systems? If you could have any sub cables what would you use? Thinking

Good 'ol debating, some people will use home depot cable with their multi-thousand dollar equipment, some will use extremely expensive cable.

Right now i'm using BetterCables with my SVS PS2ISD, not sure what kind, but its the one they offer with the ISD on their site.

I played around with a few interconnects a while ago when I got my first Klipsch KSW200 sub to go with my walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossover. I found the different difference that John Atkinson of Stereophile magazine describes: subtleties as delicate as a flower, ranking about one or two on a ten-point scale. My older, thicker copper colored Monster cable sounded better than my newer, thinner silver Monster cable. The thicker cable seemd slightly more full, a little richer and a smidgen more defined. Both sounded slightly better than a comparable Radio Shack model. Enough to make me spend the extra money. (At the time any small improvement to tame the Cornwall glare and harshness was worth the additional investment I did so love those big babies!) You cant be a tweaking audiophiles unless you experiment and listen for yourself. I call it playing stereo, as in hey, what are you doing today, wanna come over and play stereo? Get yourself three or more interconnects from friends and stores and play stereo with them. Make sure to turn everything off, but swap the interconnects around while listening to some favorite bass heavy tracks. Then you decide. Is there really a different difference?

2.gif

I will add this modest thought and as a preface I will say, cables in situations like video handling and non digital transmissions can make a difference:

Make sure you buy at least some type of quality cable. I do not mean quality in the fact it costs more or there are exotic materials, but that its construction is quality. I had a cheap cable that came with a junk sub I used a while ago. It was so thin it allowed external noise to interfere with the signal.

If this is not a good reason, I always try to buy cables with good connectors. Cheap connectors get loose, cause static and so on. I do not go crazy when it comes to cables but I do like middle of the road interconnects. I use a RS Gold interconnect.