Console vs. PC... Is XBox live the Shizit?

m00n

I come from years of PC gaming. Always been a first person shooter kind of guy. Have not played lots of different games but the ones I did play I loved... Titles such as.

Duke Nukem 3d

Quake II

Quake III Areana

Tribes 2

Sin

Half Life

I know there are tones more more and lots of mods.... Anyway, I got an XBox while ago. Back when they were still something like $400.00 or more only to see the price tank on them about 2 months later, figures. What drew me to XBox was Halo and Amped. While I admit to loving Halo, the one thing that I never could quit get into was the controls. I miss my keyboard and mouse. There is just no controler that can give you the control, accuracy and gameplay as a keyboard and mouse.

BUT....

I see XBox Live. I have some co-workers who are twisting my arm to get Crimson Skies and sign up for XBL. Is it worth it? Have you guys been able to fully make a transistion from PC/Keyboard/Mouse to a clumsy little hand held controller? Clumsy is just my own personal opinion. Not saying they are bad, just not my forte. I wanna join up. I really do just not sure if it's worth the dead presidents...

Opinions? Thoughts?

I'm on vacation right now and I've been playing a lot of Xbox Live and online PC shooters. I've been a console gamer since the Atari 2600 and a PC gamer since Quake but still to this day I find a game pad does not measue up to a mouse and keyboard. It's like your half drunk when your playing. Some of my buddies thought they could measure up with game pads but a LAN game with both types of controllers soon dispelled that foolish notion.9.gif While I'm enjoying playing Xbox Live for right now because I can only do it while on vacation I'm still turning back to the PC shooters. I'm sure I would be bored with Live after a few months with regards to shooters but other types of games play well with game pads so there is that option. Try Halo for PC and you will fell a big difference in control compared to the XBox. One negative thing I found with Live is that there is a lot of swearing and talking about drugs/alcohol which really doesn't bother me but I wouldn't want my kids on there. So to sum it up I think for racing & sports games it is OK but shooters it takes a back seat. Try Call Of Duty, Halo & Battlefield 1942+mods for PC online because they are some of the best right now.

Hmmm, not cool about all the drug talk on live. I have kids too and don't need that. I just bought crimson skies and am playing it on live right now (well, not this very second but in the evenings). Very fun game. I have Halo for XBOX, but not PC yet. I can imagine it must be a lot better on PC simply for the controls aspect of it. I wonder if they will ever support keyboard and mouse on consoles. Even it it's not a regualar keyboard per say, but something that has buttons and what not for shooting flying jumping what have yah, and then have a house for aim and direction of travel.

Kain... Yeah I dunno if I will or not. When Halo first came out I was always thinking how cool a PC version would be. But... My PC needs an upgrade I just don't feel like doing it. Running a P4 1.7, GeForce2. I have good DSL line, 1.5 down and 256 up. I think that would help ping.

What are the differences between the XBox vs PC version of Halo? Are the maps the same, different? What about guns, can you care more than two guns? How is the control of the game in general? I would have a hard time imaging they could have screwed up the game. If so it would be very sad.

I prefer console gaming (simply because I like my game to work when I put it in, and I don't like spending TONS of $$$ to play the newest games). Even though I am a big PC head and love tweaking, I never really got into PC gaming.

Halo on the XBOX is one of the best games EVER. The PC version is quite nice also, but since I only have a Gforce 2, it looks like crap on my pc.

Regarding the posts above, there is some REALLY juvenile crap going on on Live, and it's kept me from playing Mech Assault lately. I hope to build a network of good players so I don't have to put up with foul-mouthed 13 year olds who drop games when they are getting schooled. Anyone who's interested, PM me with your gamertags.

I don't play mech assalt but would like to. I am hoping to get the xbox live starter kit which has Mech Assalt in it I believe. I have been playing Crimson Skies. If you ever get that game let me know and I will friend you.

I will look you up when/if I get Mech Assalt. I will gladly play without the baby behavior and send you my gametag.