Hey Allen Songer!

bkrop

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly, Craig and I will have to find something original for you, you did not mention whether or not you have heard T.O.P.

------------

Just this week I was listening to Tower of Power Live which features What is Hip, Down to the Nightclub and You're Still a Young Man on LP. The album has seen better days from it's play when I was back in highschool 27 years ago. A great horn section that we used to play at dances. Nice to see someone else who appreciates TOP.

Baby Face Willette... FACE TO FACE, also seen in ole Allan's avatar.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000005HAH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Of all the instruments, I just have trouble warming up to the B3 in Jazz although ole Baby Face's take is a damn fine one at that. Ironically enough, I love the B3 in 60s psychedelic stuff. Then, later bands like the Lyres and the Pandoras did some great stuff with it. But lord...

Still, I like Baby Face's more subtle and less upfront use in Face to Face. With the blues tinge it's better. But take someone like Count Basie; every time one of his organ numbers pop up, I groan heavily. Allan has tried to convert me... heh.

I am trying to imagine ole Craig with the Baby Face Willette. Perhaps. Then again, Perhaps not. Craig, if you want a sampling, go hear Face to Face at Amazon. You know, you might like the groove, especially with something like "Goin Down" Not fast, but a good groove.

IF you want crazy fun B3, take a listen to The Lyres LIVE.

kh

"Of all the instruments, I just have trouble warming up to the B3 in Jazz .... kh"

When they record electric organ they are recording the instrument's speaker and amp etc. aren't they. Is this why it sounds so funky? I wonder what the final signal would look like, reveal, on a scope. Sometimes it is a very fuzzy sound to my ears, especially since, in almost all cases, there is no string bass accompaniment because the organist is punching fuzzy bass notes on the organ. This fuzzy sound is an acquired taste I would think.

I enjoy Larry Young.

C&S

Several things make that album stand out, one being the GREAT side men (Elvin Jones cant hurt anything. Joe Henderson and Woody Shaw? YEP). The other is the great stuff LArry does with some of the most creative phrasing of a B3 - tasteful as well. But the greatest Jazz album EVER made??? C'mon, Allan. Maybe you can remove ONE "REALLY" for kicks.

kh