Small speakers on hi quality speakers (do'h)

DiEGO10 -aRG-

Hi!

I was looking many fine brands of speakers like Klipsch (first :P), Paradigm, Polk Audio, Monitor Audio, Cabasse, and a few others I cannot remember right now, and I was surprised because I found a kind of patron on them. Almost all the speakers made of this brands, hi quality speakers brands, are made with maybe dual 6 inches, 7 inches, maybe 8 or 10 inches woofers as much.

Does small speakers have better quality than a big 18 inches ones or it's just a stetic and physic matter... I mean... Who can have 2 boxes with one 18" woofer in their house?

That's my doubt... :S

Thanks!!

DiEGO

Small mid-range woofers image better, with flatter, quicker, sometimes smoother response without requiring a lot of power to drive them. Therefore they are better suited to small room and modest receiver situations. Besides, you really need awfully large or powerful, or both, sub-woofers to reach down the deepest bass octaves. Therefore, bookshelf loudspeakers are easily matched with moderate and low bass subwoofers. The best sounding bass I have heard in a moderate home movie and music reproduction system came from 6.5 Audax mid-range drivers with bullet-nose phasing plugs. They were quick and accurate. Lots of great mid and upper bass. The flattest and most accurate low bass I have heard in an inexpensive system is the horn loaded 15 woofers Klispch uses in their classic corner Khorns.

2.gif

I though that small woofers may have better sound quality or something like that.

In fact as I understood (I'm from Argentina) it's quite better to have a 6 or 8 inches woofer because it would be easier for the amp to move it back and forward and reproduce better the frequencies that are sent to the amp.

Other question is why some DJ Speakers uses horns and most quality speakers still uses a 4 or 6 or "round" speaker for mid frequencies?

Thanks a lot!

DiEGO

Diego----Small drivers have higher distortion and lower output than larger ones. They can sound good but are never the ultimate. Speaker makers make small speakers because people want small speakers, these makers are quite happy to tell the buyers that these small speakers are better. But they're not.

Hey, ever seen an old movie called "The Savage Pampas"?

I believe it is mostly a matter of cost and marketablity. Also size (which is both_.

Some of these are tapered arrays where one small "woofer" serves as a midrange and bass and then the second small woofer turns on at the bass frequencies. Klipsch has done it too.

Horns are expensive compared to direct radiators. That goes across many price ranges. It may start at the $10.00 horn versus the 1.00 direct radiator; or the $100 horn versus the $10.00 direct radiator.

There are stories I've heard about the marketing and financial departments versus the engineering department. The "suits" insist that the hardware costs must be cut to pennies so there is more money for marketing and mark-up.

This makes it possible to get people to buy cheap stuff which doesn't work particularly well. It may look very good.

That sounds cynical. None the less a friend of the family from the 1930s told a fable about making tube radios.

The engineers make up a prototype which works well. Then management comes in and starts disconnecting components. Little by little, as components are removed, performance is reduced. Eventually the poor thing dies. The managment puts back the last part, and says, "This is what we want."

It is an old fable. In spirit, it may well be true for all time.

Gil

Diego---Oh, The Savage Pampas is the only Argentine movie I've seen. Was made in the 50s or 60s in Argentina by an Argentine director (Hugo Fraganese I think) with an American and Argentine cast.

Robert Taylor played an army officer fighting Indians and brigands on the Pampas, movie set in the 1870s or 1880s. Pretty good movie.

I am a little thick tonight, but I finally understand your questions, Diego.

Speaker makers make and sell small speakers with small woofers because they are cheap for the customer to buy and small enough to be easy to place in any room. The customer is happy and the maker sells speakers.

A small woofer will always have more distortion than a large one when trying to reproduce low bass notes. In the midrange, they will be about the same.

Small speakers with small woofers can be part of a good sounding system if a subwoofer is added to handle the low bass. Relieving the small woofer of the low notes keeps it from having to move long distances, a cause of an annoying form of distortion (intermodulation distortion).

Horn speakers are used because they are highly efficient and inherently have low distortion. They don't require much power to play at normal levels (less than a watt) and will get VERY loud on moderate power (100 or 200 watts). Horns also have some inherent flaws that some people don't like (or think they don't even when they have never heard good quality horns).

One of my favorite wines is sold here under the name "Concha y Toro". It is made in Argentina. What does the name mean? Shell and Bull? There are several varieties made from different grapes.

Well.. this is the second time I reply you... my explorer went down when I pressed the Submit button... **** happends right?

Thanks for teaching me a while about speakers and horns 2.gif

I'm planning to buy a pair of RF3, and I already own a KSW12, I'm not sure if the sub it's really needed using those speakers as main. Any comments or suggestions?

About the wine... you don't know what you are losing if you like a Concha y Toro. That's a 1.8 dollar bottle about. You can get a Luigi Bosca or maybe a Trapiche por 10 or 12 dollars a bottle and those wines ROCKS.

The differences are enormous, compare a Technics speakers with a Klipsch ones... or with some Bose, or Paradigm... just another thing. Try to locate a dealer of Luigi Bosca or Trapiche where you live... if you cannot, let me know maybe we can make a deal. I send you a 6-units-box of Luigi Bosca's and a 6-units-box of Trapiche then you send me a pair of RF3 3.gif3.gif3.gif

Just kidding... but will send you really GOOD wines of my country if you would like to taste them... and ENJOY them...!

Cya and thanks!

DiEGO!!

I'll look for the wines you recommended. The names are not familiar, though. If I can't find them I'll take you up on your offer!

Concha y Toro is not expensive here but sells quite a bit higher than $1.8! I think my state has pretty high "sin" taxes on alcohol. I believe a 1.5 liter bottle of Merlot is $10 - $12.

Well my room right now it's about 6 feet by 10 feet, but I won't live here for ever...

I would place the speakers and all the home theater stuff in the living room if I move to live alone.

I like more the kick bass which should be about 120 hz or 150hz, than the vibration at about 35 hz.

I don't know if that sound could come better with a small bookshelf with a 6 1/2 woofer and using subwoofer or would be better to sell my subwoofer and get a pair of RF3.

I own a KSW12.

Thanks!

6 x 10?? Do you meen feet or meters? If you mean feet, wow that's small! If that's meters, that's a good size. If your room is 6x10 feet, go with the bookshelves, and no sub. If that's meters, rf3II's would be a logical choice, if still available. You would need a subwoofer to compliment these in a larger room.

Yeap I said feets in order to avoid confusing... hehe

My room is 2.5 meters by 3 meters. It's where I sleep, I'm just 20 and live with my parents.

My idea was getting a pair of SB2 or SB3, or maybe the RB25 or RB35, and still own my sub. And if in a few years I move alone, I would send those speakers as rears and buy a pair of RF3 or whatever replaces them in the future.

What you think?

Thanks!