Can you belive I want more, and I mean alot more?

cdsang

As you can see in my signature I have an RSW-15. I was playing around, and thought I have a great sub, so I kept turning it up. And belive it or not, I maxed out my RSW-15 and wanted more. I dunno, am I getting sick like TheEar(s)? I want something that can do 20 hz at 110 dB clean and maybe even more then that. I am thinking of a DIY project. 2 subs each identcal. I would use 2 stryke AV15 in each box and use one as a Active, other as PR. And I found an amp at Parts express I might want to use. I think its a Crown CE 1000A3 and power each at 4 ohmes doing 450 watts each as the max is 500, it might give it some xmax left over for hard 20hz levels. I realize the total cost of all this maybe close to $1500 US, but I have the tools to build the box and a Lowes about 15 mins away. Do you think if built right, all 3 Subs could do 20 Hz hard. Or do you think I should use all 4 15s in a B4-Plus arrangment and use four 4 by 12 inch ports that are flared on each side. Heck, just to make sure, why not do 6 ports? Well, anyway, anythoughts? Thank you in advance.

CD

Build what I did, a dual Tempest sonosub powered by a 500 watt plate amp. Don't have the specs handy but I know it peaked at 126dB @ 31.5Hz. Total cost was about $900 with a somewhat expensive Hypex HS500 amp.

If interested let me know and I can e-mail you the specs/details to build one yourself.......Mike

I suggest you either do a lot more reading first, or follow a plan someone else has already proven.

Your first suggestion of using one driver for a PR would be a major waste of money and not make proper use of the driver. There are purpose built PRs with no motor structure that sell for a bit less than the AV15. The rule of thumb is that the PRs should have at least twice the Vd of the active drivers. Vd is the radiating surface area of the driver or PR, multiplied by it's peak to peak stroke. This is usually converted to litres. You can then add the PR and active driver values of each box together. Bottom line though is each AV15 should be run with a pair of Stryke 18" PRs. So if you want to put two AV15's in each enclosure you should have 4 18" passive radiators as well.

I'd recommend the enclosures be between 240 and 280 litres net internal volume each. I'd mount the drivers and PRs in pairs symetrically opposed on the enclosures. The PRs will need to be weighted somwhere between 2000 and 2500G each for a tune in the 18-22hz range (this will be dependant on the enclosure size you finally decide on). 500W per driver will be more than enough power to reach Xmax as well. Big bass reflex enclosures don't need as much power as small sealed ones to reach a drivers mechanical limits. Keep in mind that built properly each of these boxes when completed will weigh in the 200-300lbs range.

Your second option is simply a no go. Enclosure will just get to big to properly house 4 AV15 drivers (need 350L plus mine and it will end up weighing well over 400lbs). And 4, 4" flared ports definately isn't enough. If you want to go the ported route (same thing as PR by the way, ports and PRs are just variations on the same theme) I'd recommend two 260-300L enclosures. Pair of AV15 drivers per enclosure and a pair of 6" flared ports per enclosure (Rockfort Fosgate or newfoam sell the flares I believe). At 280L net the ports will each have to be 27-28" long to tune the enclosure to 20hz. Again the enclosures will end up in the 200-300lbs range and 500W per driver would be oodles.

And if you actually build either of these pairs, just sell the RSW15, you won't need it anymore. Oh, and if an infinite baffle is an option, definately do it. Much easier to build and arguably the best bass around. Want louder, just add more drivers.

http://www.f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

Instead of buying all thouse PRs, just by 4 more AV15 drivers. Put all 8 in a proper manifold. Wire them such that your amp can handle the load (IB subs need a fraction of the power thier box bretheran do) and you'll have a little over 30L of Vd to thump you good and hard. For reference, your RSW15 is likely a little under 3L.

If you are another I CAN BUILD A GIANT TOILET PAPER(easy-pour) sub DIY type,build your own sub.One or two Tempest woofers,a plate amp(or inexpensive Samson)in a ported configuration.You are there(heh some work,like cutting the top and base plates,and porting the neast).

or if you are like me...no time to waste(time is money)...

Get a SVS B4-Plus and a K2 power amp,you're done.You will get a sub so capable you may never hit its limits(unless its placed in a huge room and open on the house).Costs more,just unpack,set up and voila instant bass.

You can always use the RSW15 as a mid bass woofer 2.gif