Help deciding on reciever

rennocneb

Hi i have the complete klipsch 3 series rf-3II rc-3II using rb5II for surrounds and rsw15 sub. I currently have an NAD T751 receiver and im looking to upgrade im also going to be using an ADCOM 5500 2 channel amp to drive the front left and right speakers with the new reciever as i am now with the NAD.

I have narrowed my choices to what are available around me the Harman/Kardon AVR525($675), NAD T752($650), Pioneer Elite VSX45TX($775).

I like the bass managment on the HK since i could use SACD DVD audio with bass managment and also that i can set different crossover frequencies for the fronts, center, surrounds so i can use the fronts almost full range but sill cut the others, but ive been brainwashed by NAD to beleive HK recievers have no power and are junk just scared to take the leap

any comments would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Ren,

Have you physically listened to the HK sytem? It sounds to me like you've already made the decision to purchase it. Alot of folks here have and like HK , as do others with NAD. If your purchasing locally, you could get the HK try it out, and if it didn't work - return it.............just check the stores return policy....?

Do you like the 751 and keeping it, or selling..... Just curious.

EDIT: Ren you might want to check out this link off of ecoustics I found about the 752... Its from a Form, and might help with your decision on the HK vs the NAD....

http://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/5654.html (It will take a short while to load-)

I don't own H/K, but about the only bad thing I ever read is alot of people think they are ugly. I know their power measurements are very conservatively rated. Didn't I see where the AVR7200 is rated at 100wpc all channels driven and actually measures out to over 140 wpc?

I'm with you on the triple crossover, it's a great idea. It just makes sense to me to be able to use a speakers full capabilities.

NAD makes a great product also. Their power ratings are "full disclosure" as I understand it.

If i purchase one of these receivers i plan to sell my NAD T751, I like it using the klipschs it plays plenty loud i would just like component switching since i have 4 compontent devices also i would like a lil better bass managment. The HK i can get at circuitcity and the NAD is from a local highend dealer. I know the NAD will make right around 92 watts all channels driven according to sound and visions review. Anyone ever seen a good review on the HK?

Hi rennocneb,

As most guys here would say, you have to listen to all the receivers under consideration to really judge them in terms of audio quality and behaviour when volume is increased.

I've read some comments that Yamaha receivers don't go well with Klipsch speakers simply because Klipsch speakers being "bright" in sound quality already is further made bright by the "bright" Yamaha receivers. So, one may like all the bells and whistles of a Yamaha receiver but when paired to a "bright" speaker, it may become to taxing on the ears. A "warm" receiver like those of HK will do fine.

I bought the AVR5550 ( the equivalent of AVR 525 here in Australia ) and I'm loving it. Its bass management, its features, its remote and potential power really makes me a satisfied buyer.

I did a little research about the Ampere rating on receivers. From what I understand, in order for your speakers to produce sound, the amplifier sends current (not watts) to it to move its voice coil which in turn will drive the speaker to produce sound.

When the reciever has to drive 6 channels together, it has to send enough current for each one. When its power source is limited, then you won't get the sound you're supposed to. I believe now that the mere weight of the unit mostly because of the transformer or power supply inside is some indication. A friend of mine bought the Onkyo TX SR701 and it weights 13Kg while my AVR 5550 is about 20Kg !

Of course, Klipsch speakers are efficient enough and your receiver don't have to work as much to drive them but I find comfort in the thought that even when I upgrade to speakers like those from Epos, my receiver could still drive them with ease.

Indeed, the power rating for HK receivers are conservative and at 70 watts per channel, its way too lound for my family room of 9 x 5 meters. In fact with its volume indicator starting from -80db to 0db, I've never gone past -10db !

I hope this helps.

----------------

On 12/8/2003 9:41:39 PM rennocneb wrote:

does anyone know a good place to order the pioneer elite online?

----------------

Check out aroun ebay(for those shop that offer warranties) or resellerratings....... i'm not sure which model you want that can't do any research for you 15.gif Good hunting 9.gif

ok ive narrowed this down to the HK525 and the Elite 45tx they are the only two i can readily get. The HK is $645 best i can do on the elite from an authorized dealer i got to drive two hours to get to is $799. I like the looks of the elite and the "THX" logo i know dont even say it lol. But how does the bassmanagment work on it. Is the crossover the same for all channels or is it like the HK where the fronts can be at say 50hz and center and surrounds at 80? Also does it do HDTV component switching and if so how many inputs. Any info on which is the nicer unit would be much appreciated