micro sub options

larrymaher

Im looking for 1 or 2 micro-type subs to go with my home theater setup.

Klipsch rf3-ii's fronts rc-35 center, rs-25 rears.

I had larger subs, but need the space so I want to use a micro. or two

I know about sunfire. What could I do in the 1000-1500 range dollar wise.

I have a large room with vaulted 15' ceiling. 24' by 16' rectangular in shape opening to kitchen

thanks for your help .

I like the idea of 2 smaller 9" cubes, say the smaller sunfires.

----------------

On 12/9/2003 12:20:27 PM larrymaher wrote:

I have a large room with vaulted 15' ceiling. 24' by 16' rectangular in shape opening to kitchen

thanks for your help .

----------------

Can't the Sunfire Sig be bought within that price range, it packs a good punch for it's size and is worthy of consideration.

What are the absolute limits of size?

Go with the SunFire Signature, otherwise...you'll be disappointed coming from the pb2. I have the sunfire sig and its a beast. You'll be going "WTF!" when you see that little 13" cube go nuts. At 31.5hz I get 120db and at 20hz I get 104db in my HT room. Tape it too the floor and you'll get better shake factor, the Sunfire has SERIOUS internal dynamics with a good 70-80lbs punch at full blast.

I know I'm ranting, but its so awesome to see something so small, kick so much @$$. I too need to get a SVS, I'm ordering one here soon. :)

Wait a minute,if there is anyone who tested and own more microsuvs than me its,NOBODY.

If you want the most powerful,most potent micro subwoofer on THE MARKET its the Sunfire Signature.Its output at 31.5Hz measured at one meter from the woofer is a room shaking 117dB,at 25Hz it tops 110dB and at 20 pulses it still makes past 100dB!

These numbers ribal much larger and still costly subs.Simply put at 31.5Hz it whacks a few subs with 15" woofers.

The closest competition comes from Paradigm,the Seismic 12 uses a heavy duty ultra long throw 12" woofers with two PR's.And is powered by a 1200W RMS/4500W PEAK amp.I will get one starting next week 9.gif

BTW I have these microsubs

Sunfire Signature

Sunfire Junior

Sunfire Mark II

Velodyne SPL1000

Carver Knight Shadow two of them :)

...and soon to be the Seismic 10 and 12.

I had at home the Velodyne HGS12 and a few B&W microsubs.Also the Klipsch LF10 and the Earthquake 12

I own the Velo HGS18,Revel B15,Aerial SW12,Polk PSW404 and 505,Klipsch RSW10/12 and 15,two Reel(810 and 1215)

BRAG BRAG yes

So what are you waiting for,in the world of microsubs the Sunfire SIgnature is KING.Anyone who questions that know poop about microsubs.

Thanks for the info. My walls are made of concrete, so I'm not really worried about the shaking. So many people talk about 'rumble' when it comes to subs, when in actuality, rumble (taken literally) is not what I would want. More like Clean and tight....the kind that goes right through you, but leaves all your wall hangings (and internal organs) intact. Those SVS and other tubes just won't go in my studio apartment.

----------------

On 12/9/2003 12:20:27 PM larrymaher wrote:

thanks for your help .

----------------

Have you considered DIY or having someone build for you? I've been toying with the notion of adding another sub to my system but with me already having two 6' tall enclosures in the room I need something to be small.

Here's what I've been thinking up for a killer micro sub:

- 2 Blueprint 1003's

- 2 Stryke 12" 970 PR's with 500g each

- Either a Samson S2000(1000Wx2) or I was thinking of trying the Buttkicker amp for sub duty

- The enclosure it would only be 1 cubic foot(internal) and with those particular PR's it would be tuned to 22.5Hz. I was thinking of using 1' MDF all around. I was thinking of putting the drivers on oppossing sides and the PR's on oppossing sides, this way all mechanical forces on the enclosure cancel out.

The cost of MDF, woofers, PR's, and amp would come around $1K. If you didn't want to do the woodworking, I would contact www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com or www.acoustic-visions.com to see what they charge to build it for you and do the cutouts, then all you'd need to do is simply screw pieces into the box, let's say it costs $200-250 for them to build it(just a guess) you'd come within your budget and have a micro sub with no peer(at least that I know of).

Check out the attachment below...it's compares WinISD's anechoic estimate of the Blueprint sub with 2000 watts to an original SVS CS driver in a 5.25 cu ft enclosure tuned to 17.3Hz(what I built formy brother) with 250 watts(what they recommended).

Frankie,

Your idea is anything but a micro sub,and keep the chainsaw home.A true micro sub internal volume is under 1 cu ft.

Your so called micro subs border the large.

Like it or not the Sunfire Signature does the job and no DIY competes in this size,and this including the amp.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 9:30:36 PM TheEAR wrote:

Frankie,

Your idea is anything but a micro sub,and keep the chainsaw home.A true micro sub internal volume is under 1 cu ft.

Your so called micro subs border the large.

Like it or not the Sunfire Signature does the job and no DIY competes in this size,and this including the amp.
----------------

Well my ideas of micro have been skewed with what I've been building lately1.gif, I don't think 1 cu ft is too large.

The Sunfire does it job and does it well, but I think DIY can compete in terms of performance. The main problem with building your own microsub it starts to get expensive and the bang/buck ratio starts to plummet.

I am running an Earthquake MKIV 12 and I love it. I have had the Carver Knight Shadow, and the Sunfire True (not the Sig.), as well as a Pinnacle Sub 350,and a REL Q201e. In my opinion,the Earthquake is the best all around sub. It hits low and hard and is quite fast for music(BIG improvement over the MK1). FYI it is only 15 inches cubed! Anyway,there is my two cents worth. Enjoy your search.10.gif

----------------

On 12/20/2003 12:34:25 AM prodj101 wrote:

lol, fabulous=color blind? that "yellow" is totally green!
14.gif

----------------

LOL...edited just for you1.gif.

When I was putting putting it up I accidentally closed out the Blueprint graph that was yellow, when I redid it for some reason I chose green instead but yellow was stuck in my head.

I guess my AV15's have been rattling my brain more than I realized14.gif.

On a seperate note, if anyone checked out the link I gave for the Blueprint sub you might have noticed a sub named the AL1804. After www.audioliquidators.com bought out the remaining stock of Blueprint subs, they got lots of emails asking for the 1803 which they didn't have. So what they did is they bought the remaining 1803 parts and put together their own version and they're selling it for $260 shipped. Not to shabby for an 18" with 25mm one way Xmax that's works well in relatively small boxes, T/S parameters are available at the site.

I had one at home,and as usual I removed the plate amp to check the inside as well as the woofer.

The Mark II has more output down low thanks to the PR.That simple

The Q200E matches better with smaller sat speakers as it can climb a bit better,the Mark II and other Sunfire(active/PR) subs

roll very fast over 70Hz.