Speaker Calibration

AnalOg

Hey all,

I have the Pioneer Elite 47tx so calibrating is done automatically. My neighbor wants me to properly calibrate his Denon but has no manual.

I own a SPL meter, can someone just tell me what readings I'm looking for on the meter when setting the volumes on the speakers.

Thankx,

Tom

If you take his Denon into setup mode (off of the remote), and have the TV on (as a monitor), look for speaker settings in the menu. There will be a manual/automatic noise tone generator that will go from speaker to speaker.

Sit in the normal viewing position and turn on your SPL. Start the tone generator. Do a full 6-speaker sweep just to check the levels. Be sure that the SPL has at least 1' of clearance around it as you hold it (to prevent reflected waves off your head :) ). Then it's simply a matter of increasing or decreasing the SPL from each speaker to match a target output.

This is especially helpful if you have a blend of speakers with different efficiencies. My Belle is the most efficient and needs to be dialed back. The Heresies are the least efficient and need a boost. The Cornwalls fall somewhere in the middle.

Good luck!

85dB is considered reference. However, most people find this very loud. Most will calibrate between 75-80dB. I used 80dB but also made sure it was close at 85dB (for the times I want to show off). To be honest, anything above 70dB will be fine, it just depends on if you care about accuracy at reference or not. In addition, there are correction factors for the SPL levels of the RS meter. As long as they all come out to the same reading this is no problem. Just remember that the readings may be a bit off the actual. No big deal to me, but to some it is

Just remember that if you are calibrating for DD it will be different in DTS. In addition, if you use the test tone from the receiver, it may be a different volume setting for DVD playback. I have this case with my Yamaha. The test tone is close but not the same as the Avia calibration from the DVD.

Im sure someone here will correct any of my mistakes.

Hi

If you own the Radio Shack Analog meter #33-2050

make sure the meter is set to Weighting "C"

and slow response Meter should be placed at listening position at ear level with the MIC `end of the meter pointed upward (A tripod is very helpful)

I would calibrate the Subs for 3-5 DB hotter than the rest of the system. * Note If his room is very reflective

don't put in the accurate delay time(feet)to speakers from listening position shorten the distance 5-10ft This pertains to all other receivers and pre/pro's as well

Hope this helps

RLA Home Theater & Hi-Fi

www.rlahometheater.com

swissy your right...set weighing at "C" and slow. 70/75 db will be enough unless your in a huge room.depending on the speakers youll notice you may have to turn back fronts or even surrounds pending there sensitivty. good luck, and good listening.

Hi

#1 If you are pointing the MIC at each speaker how can you make sure you are getting system balance? You cant. The MIC needs a stationary position that is neutral . #2 I have been told although not verified by me that the MIC is more accurate at the upward position #3 When you use a Tripod you eliminate your body

blocking the transmission of the signal to the MIC #4 This comes straight out of the Home and Cinema

THX Manual USE and SPL meter (Radio Shack) at the seating position with the Microphone pointing up and held at arms length to avoid body interference There are other reasons but this should be enough

I don't much use the Radio Shack meter anymore

as I have a Room Analyzer but it served my very well in the 90s and I always used it in accordance with the THX spec with no problems I have verified that the use of the Meter this way is very acurate as I have gone

back to systems Installed when I used the Radio Shack meter with my room analyzer the levels were within a couple DB for the main,center and effect speakers

Subwoofers were effected more by Break in and room changes

Hope this Helps

RLA Home Theater & Hi-Fi