Cat finds the sweet spot

mark1101

I know you are all going to think I'm nuts but I asure you I'm not. Maybe some of you have pets with the same "talent".

I have 3 cats. It took me a couple of years to realize it, but one of them (a very timid one) truly loves music, especially the Dead. And she knows how to find the best sounding spot in the room.

When ever I play one of my systems, this particular cat will eventually (almost immediately) come into the room with music and snake her way around the furniture until she knows she is safe in the room. Sometimes it will take her 10-15 minutes to feel safe and come out into the open area. She walks around and around (usually back and forth) and eventually settles somewhere almost perfectly centered between the speakers about 6 to 8 feet away. Now that I know she does this, I usually watch her and how she gets herself adjusted.

I know this sounds crazy, but I can tell that my system is balanced or not by where she lays down. One night I lost a channel on my basement system because the other cats got behind my PC and caused some wires to come out.

The other cat was found laying about 6 feet away from the speaker that was playing, and she was laying right in front of it.

I could go on and on. I thought about posting this because we set up our X-mas tree and I had to put the corns together, as in touching each other, on one side of the TV so the tree could be on the other in a corner.

Tonight I started playing some of Gary's Dead music that we exchanged. The cat immediately jumped up and walked over to the corns, walked around and around, and layed down exactly on the center line of where they are touching, and she is about 8 feet away.

I need to make a video of this. It will be very easy, and funny to watch. She does this all the time.

I don't know, you tell me.6.gif

----------------

On 12/11/2003 11:09:55 PM Randy Bey wrote:

Paul, you aren't all bad. I don't care what the others say about you.

----------------

Me neither.

The cats are Sugar, Soot, and Beetlejuice. They usually hang out with me in the living room no matter what I'm playing. Loud stuff doesn't bother them. Some of the funny noises on the Overture on "Tommy" got their attention though.

3cats.jpg

----------------

On 12/11/2003 11:30:11 PM paulparrot wrote:

Some of the funny noises on the Overture on "Tommy" got their attention though.

----------------

I got the CD Amused to Death based on some things MaxG wrote, and the first few times I played it, when the dog started barking, my cat Bosco was a little jumpy.

Bosco likes to hang out with me when I'm practising Bach on the piano or playing it on the stereo.

forrest

The sweetspot cat is named Jessie. She's going on 6, and she's here with me now laying right between my LaScalas about 6 feet back. It's 7:20AM, and she's doing it again. Right in the sweet spot. I have the news on the radio, no music.

She doesn't care how loud the music goes, she still does her sweetspot thing almost all the time.

I'm glad to here I'm not the only one with a pet who likes music.

I'm thinking the real reason an animal, especially a cat, might do such a thing (find the sweet spot) is probably instinctual for safety purposes. I would bet that they try to find the spot where the reflections are least and the sound hits their ears in a way that most allows them to tell where things are coming from. I think the sweet spot might sound the safest (most balanced) to their brain with respect to differentiating other sounds that could spell danger.

I could be wrong, but cats have some strange behaviors. They seem to go overboard just to stay safe. Jessie is the most over paranoid animal. It's hilarious the things that spook her while the other cats just lay there. The vacuum cleaner messes her up bad!! But loud music draws her right to it.

Anyhow, I think it is supercool to have my audio loving cat and watch her find the best place to hear the music. She is a great pet.