Short Horn

mark1101

Guys,

There is a single 1956 shorthorn on the bay sitting at $102.00. It's a pick up in New orleans.

At the risk of uncovering a forum sandbagger, someone here ought to grab that thing.

Reserve not met. Maybe a moot point to try and get it cheap.

Anyone live near New orleans? I'd take it but I can't drive to get it for a while.

Mark,

I am the member sitting on this one. Three other members have expressed an interest in this item, and have deferred to allow me an opportunity to chase it. There are three other shorthorns in various guises on Ebay right now, including a buy the second one for the same price as the first one deal.

This one is an "s" line shorthorn, and does not have the original drivers. Like most shortys, it is both devalued by non-historical mods and worth more to most people for the parts than its current whole state.

I would like to pick it up to use it in my baby's room as an indestructable mono speaker, and I have talked personally to Mike, the owner, about obtaining it. I have been patiently waiting for the clock to wind down as it now has, and am a little dismayed to again see it mentioned.

I will repeat again(deja vu all over again!) if anyone wants this one, speak up and I won't bid on it. They come up monthly - I'll run after the next one. I will buy a shorty, I just won't pay more than market, and I don't want to be in a bidding war. Mike has a reserve on this one, so he may be harboring illusions as to its proper market value. If I can't reach reserve before I blow through a concurred market value from other forum members, I won't chase this one in future iterations, because of its non-original aspect. I want it for its utility within an original shorty box.

A slight twist on etiquette - the preferred time to post Ebay auctions is when they START or EARLY in their lifespan. Most of the forum members are alert when they are going after gear, and don't need public reminders. I know I'm grumbling, Mark, but it took me three weeks, a missed shorthorn, and an expensive diamond necklace to get a papal dispensation from my wife to buy this. The neon lights made me !@$%#$&*^+2.gif

I have been so busy lately I haven't been reading as much here. I must have missed the opening thread calling first attention to this shorthorn. Or I forgot.

One thing I do agree on is not drawing attention to the Klipsch deals late in the EBay game. But on this one I figured if a forum member really wanted the thing we would see higher than a hundred bucks on it (and more than 1 bid) on the last day. It's a 1956 horn.

As far as I'm concerned it's yours. You don't need to be up tight about it. It's a freekin' speaker.

I always post here about decent Klipsch deals on the bay. That's nothing new for me. I would never intentionally try to wreck someone's deal. So, sorry about that.

It should be over by now. Did you get it?

Mark,

there are still 22 hours left on it. I'm sorry my earlier was snippier than I wanted as well - seven trips to the hardware store today, and I still don't have the washer and dryer hooked up without gas leaks at our new house, and the washer floor is off by 3/16 and 5/8 of an inch off north and south11.gif, so no laundry until I get it balanced. AND I have to climb over the washer to get in and out of its alcove cubby!

Some of the frustrations getting the house set up colored the post, and I apologize for coming across as strong as I did. I didn't mean to look like a hyena, blood dripping from my jaws, standing over the shorthorn.

I'm just hoping that Mike has the reserve set at a reasonable level, and that I get the shorthorn for a resonable amount. I have seen Scott and Eico prices artificially go through the roof, and then fall back to a reasonable market rate, due to price leads from this and two other opinion leading forums. We are seeing a climb in shorthorn, Patrician, Metragon and Ranger prices as people begin to realize that vintage horn speakers are an interesting and valuable addition to sound systems.

The two vintage horns I saw were a set of Patricians, and a Japanese Coral, which are both two ways, going for far less than they are worth(still open on EBay.) And yes, the single Klipschorn in SoCal went for under $300 two weeks ago, which gives you a very good idea of the top end of the range for an "S" shorthorn.

Mark,

yep. Our toddler is just starting to walk, and he pulled a chair down on him yesterday. My wife realized he would do the same on our little corner table in his room, and gave me the "at any cost" green light to get the shorty.

Mike threw it back on EBAY with a BIN that was at the top of the ballpark, and I jumped. I just hope the lenses are the originals, because the drivers are not. I just was given 20 linear ft of 12" width red mahogany, 3/4" thick, so I should be able to build a nice cubby on top.

I may have to do the road trip down to the Big Easy, as my friend just backed out.

Glad to hear things worked out. I would have hated it if I screwed that up on you.

I wouldn't worry about the ride or the drivers. As long as the cabinet is original you can stuff it with any drivers you like as you wait to acquire originals (if that's what you want). Hopefully the lenses are originals. I don't know how hard those would be to find.

9.gif