Fisher X-100 Audition

garymd

I unhooked the Mac/Marantz and connected the speakers and cd player to the X-100 my new friend had rebuilt for me to try out. I have to say it sounds quite excellent. I wouldn't replace my scott with it but it's not too far behind. I'm about to check out the phono stage. I'm mightly impressed. I guess 11 watts is more than ample even for the slightly less efficient altecs. Looks like I'm buying another amp!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/13/2003 7:37:04 PM garymd wrote:

I unhooked the Mac/Marantz and connected the speakers and cd player to the 100-C my new friend had rebuilt for me to try out. I have to say it sounds quite excellent. I wouldn't replace my scott with it but it's not too far behind. I'm about to check out the phono stage. I'm mightly impressed. I guess 11 watts is more than ample even for the slightly less efficient altecs. Looks like I'm buying another amp!

----------------

Heh heh heh GaryMd and Smilin are going to be "collectors" together!!! Hey, gar, whats next?

2.gif Audio, "what a long strange road" huh, but it is FUN!!!

TT ya Soon6.gif Smilin

And congrats on more DIFFERENT sounds, BTW are ya gonna stop using the MAC's?2.gif

Not sure what to do! Right now they both sound good but the phono stage on the Fisher doesn't need work so I may use it for a while. I'm running out of room on my shelving. LOL If it weren't for the kenwood I'm using for a tuner, I could put it all together and swap at will. My wife and daughter went shopping so I'm playing right now. I have no idea what the right thing to do is for long term enjoyment but the fisher may end up with my heresys as part of my son's graduation present.

Gear overload!!!!

----------------

On 12/13/2003 10:47:02 PM NOSValves wrote:

Gary,

Get something clear for me is this a X100 A, B or C ??? there is a major difference between the models.

Craig

----------------

How do you tell the difference? It is tube rectified (5AR4) and has a center channel button but I haven't figured out how to hook up a center, not that I would. Where would the center be connected. I was told this was the best fisher integrated ever made. It sounds more amazing every time I listen!

Well the best Fisher is a X100 with no letter ! Does it simply say X100 on the front ? If so it is indeed the best Fisher integrated ever made. I'm pretty sure its the only X100 that has a tube rectifier. Most fishers are SS rectified and still sound very good. I have said many time around here that Fisher made some great integrated amps but everyone still searched out Scotts. I do think the Scotts look better and is why I went that route when I started out in tubes.

Craig

----------------

On 12/13/2003 11:06:03 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I have listend to a handfull of nice Fisher integrateds and the tube rectified X-1xxx model came in at the top of the heap, in comparison. I thought it bested the 101 with SS and so did others in the room.

Nice find and worth the price of admission.

kh

----------------

Thanks Mobile. Would this be a 100-C because it's tube rectified? Anyone know how to use the center channel if I wanted to? Just curious. This thing puts out a ton of bass and is crystal clear up top. No need for the loudness button on this amp. I also like having 1 channel hooked to the back and the other to the top. Nice sounding phono stage also.

I think it really is just the Fisher X-100. I dont think there is a number after the tube rect version. The Fisher 100 series had numbers after them ie Fisher X-100-2 etc. We had several Fishers in the Fisher - EICO - Scott (222c) shootout. The bang for bux with these integrateds is great if one can be found for cheap.

kh

Glad to hear your purchase is doing well. I hope the Mac240 does not end up leaving, I can not imagine it not sounding better. Hang in there until I get mine back and let you know what I think. Maybe yours just needs a cap replacement. Tell me more of the tube roling? Are you still demoing it with the tunsols?

I know wrong post but I am curious.

----------------

On 12/14/2003 2:01:28 PM afvn72 wrote:

If the center channel is the same as my X-202, you run an interconnect from the Fisher to a mono amp, that amp feeds the speaker. I tried it for a while and did not care for it.

Brett Cornwell

----------------

That must be it. There are 2 sets of jumpers smack in the middle of the top of the amp near the transformers and tube sockets and written next to them is "To Spacexpander." Never heard of a spacexpander before.

Bill,

Right now I'm going to listen to the fisher for a week or 2 then go back to the mac/marantz and make a decision. I may be selling the mac and marantz even though I just bought a really nice original cabinet for the marantz on ebay. I still say the tungsols sounded good but I'm waiting for some better tubes to try. A very generous Guy on the forum is sending me a quad (KT-66s).2.gif