sony strde895 receiver vs. the sony es line

lpdcan28

I have never A-B compared 2 equivalent year Sony models, but I replaced my 1993 highest model Sony regular series receiver this year with a Sony DA4ES. Needless to say it was a major difference in every department.

I compared specs between the STRDE995 and the DA4ES before I bought the ES. It just seemed to have more options, and after hearing it I fell in love. I will never go back to Sony's standard models. One can be found on Ebay sometimes new around $500, and used around the 4's..

Bob

I recently bought a 1000ES, and although I can't really give you any info on the sound quality differnce (the 995 vs the 1000ES had IDENTICAL THD and power specs), what I can say is this:

The build quality of the ES is far superior to the standard line. My particular ES receiver (although bottom of the line ES) is solid-Aluminum front panel vs. plastic. It just looks and feels more solidly built.

Another difference is the warranty: 2 years I belive for their standard (DE) line, 5 years parts AND labor for the ES line.

The difference in price between the 995S and 1000ES was $100. It was worth it to me for the build quality alone, let alone the warranty difference.

I do believe the 1000ES lost multi-zone capability compared to the 995, so there was a feature trade-off, but if your in the maket for a reciever, what is MOST important is if it does every thing YOU need, and it sounds good to YOU. Take in what advice people have to offer, but don't get wrapped up in other peoples opinions too much (even mine).

-Alan