Question on Transformer Operating Temperature

mark1101

I have a question on how hot people's transformers operate at on your tube amps. And what are they supposed to operate at.

You can see the amps I have below. I never measured degrees, but I have no cabinets on either amp and I always get grabby with the 3 transformers just to make sure melt down is not imminent.

Both of my amps seem to have similar temps between them, so I figure I am OK. I can put my hands on the output transformers and after say around 5 seconds, you definitely want to take your hand off. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 130- 150 F.

I am doing this with the equipment operating for 3-4 hours and loudness set around 11-12 o'clock. Definitely "in use".

Here's why I post this and ask.

I have nothing but CD players connected directly to each amp. Last night I introduced a DBX-1215 EQ. Just by connecting the thing and barely using any gain at all, and I mean nill (sitting on 0), the transformers cooled down tremendously.

They operated so cool in fact I was pretty shocked, and wondered if maybe my CD players did not have enough juice, or if I was over taxing the amps. They operated just barely warm. Seemed right.

Anyhow, I was able to actually improve the sound as well with the DBX, while cooling down the amp. I know I must have added some gain, but it couldn't have been much.

I know I'll take a distortion beating here, but I have to say, the DBX is a neat toy if used in fine moderation. Especially since my upstairs great room is in "Christmas setup" configuration.

Mark,

RCA jacks from CD player out to EQ in. Then from EQ out to Scott 299 tape in.

The EQ has a bass cutoff filter but that is all. This filter is an 18 DB/octave cutout filter for below 40 Hz. This filter is turned off, I'm sure.

There are no other features on it that I can think of besides a bunch of LED indicators for various conditions.

Let me rephrase what I originally stated. The Scott didn't actually cool down from a hot temperature.

It just doesn't get hot at all with this EQ in the system. I typically check the transformers here and there throughout the night, and those things were barely warm last night when normally they are much hotter.

The temps on one of my Scott 299c amps are:

Lt OPT 98, Rt OPT 103, Power 123 after about two hours of listening.

They're going to get really hot in a couple of minutes. I just got an LP of Muddy Waters, BB King and Big Mama Thornton recorded live at Newport. Here goes....

Rick