WTB Cornwalls in Calif.

st. patrick

While recently trying to find a pair of JBL's to relive my college days in the early 70's ,I discovered the cornwall secret and now would like to find a pair to keep me happy for the next 40 years. Ideally would like (don't we all) one owner, cared and cherished for, never overdriven, perfect sonic (if that is the correct term) quality. Just got a McIntosh MC 2105 and MX 110 tube pre amp and tuner.......and all the forums seem to say the cornwalls are the perfect match. I am open to all advice and suggestions on this subject, and will sincerely appreciate your collective wisdom and experience ( that was not intended to sound so suck-up ish). also, i get the impression almost all cw's are good, but there seems to a preference for mid 70's but no specific explanation as how those differ from the others. any input? thank you, Patrick

I ended up with a pair of 4311's and a mint set of L 100's which I'm matching up with a marantz 2330.

I say "secret" only to mean I was in the dark.... until i started reading different forums and getting educated on some of these things, but i am still trying to get caught up on the knowledge curve.

Do a search under "Cornwall" on the speaker forum, and you could read for hours. Good luck with your search. Just one thing, isn't that McIntosh a SS amp? If so, to really find the secret of Cornwalls you need to try a tube amp. There is a Forum member who I believe just switched out from the MC2105 to a Jolida tube amp with his Cornwalls and prefers the sound.

as i said, i still have a ways to go on the learning curve....and this seems to be another example. Reading different CW posts i saw reviews from 2105 owners and many said you'd need a good tube pre amp like the MX 110 to really make the cornwalls come alive......so, now the dumb question on my part: is the pre amp between the amp and speakers or is it between the wall plug and the amp? previously i've only used a receiver... . obviously i'm uninformed, hopefully i'm not stupid...but let's not put it to a vote . Patrick