HDTV for $1500?

sheltie dave

Hey guys,

I'm new to HT - looking for a HDTV for under $1500 if possible. I'm trying to get up to speed, so thought I would ask a few questions here. I want to run audio outs through my HK 630 to some Heresys, bypassing all the nasty TV speakers.What would be some possible brands and models to consider, and is there a good pack of connections that is the bare minimum to allow for future expansion?

I hit Ultimate today and got steered to the 4K sets and promptly left. They are more interested in selling than answering questions7.gif

Probably going to be tough for $1500. I have a Mitsu 65" Diamond which was about $4200. There are sets for significantly less, but you will need to stay around a 42" or buy a lower line model. The problem here is, the resolution on a lesser model is going to be noticably less on non-HD broadcasts. The good news is that there are more and more OTA (over-the-air) programs being broadcast in HD. For instance; Monday Night Football, The Tonight Show, CSI, Raymond, etc... The difference in HD and non-HD is truly amazing. I still sometimes watch a show I am not really interested in only because it is in HD. In addition, here in DC there is a PBS station that broadcasts in exclusively HD and some of the nature programs are really great in HD. Keep looking, and I would recommend Mitsubishi's Medallion series as a place to start. Good luck.

>Edit One additional thing, I don't know where you live, but look for a chain called The Big Screen Store. They are very knowledgable and can provide a lot of good information and different models to compare.

Dave,

If you can go to about $1800, there are about 50 to choose from. My friend just bought a Toshiba 57" RPTV for $1800 over the weekend, HDTV ready. Just needs the box from comcast. You can also get them with the box but I don't think it's wise until 2006 when everyone's broadcasting in that format.

36 inches is about as large as I want to go. Anything larger will be a significant safety hazard for my sister-in-law who has CP. This TV will be upstairs in the living room and should not eat up tremendous space. I think I am looking for the misnamed "HDTV ready," the tv that needs the HDTV receiver.

Are the HDTVs also 16x9 capable, or is that the next price break up?

I feel like a brontosaurus in a den of T rexes when I head for the superstores in St. Louis. It is a combat zone in these zoos!

It all depends on where you are getting it from. Cable OTA or Sat. ABC NBC CBS PBS are broadcasting HD in almost all bigger networks. Most of the primetime shows are in HD. Fox in most areas will be going hd in spring 04. There are other channels they offer from the other areas like HDNet Discovory, HBO, Showetime, ESPN, and soon playboy.

36" tv's will work with widescreen you will just have black bars on the upper and lower of the screen. Look at sony's they have a great picture and I have had great luck with there tube's.