european style plug

st. patrick

okay, so i buy a mint marantz 2330b (vintage 70's) receiver on ebay, had several emails with seller, answered questions, etc, and all seemed ok.......until i just received the receiver and it has a 2 round prong plug that looks like the plugs over in england, ireland, etc. what are my options? is it an easy fix to put a typical usa plug on it or am i in for bigger problems??? i think i just lost my innocence.....

I suspect a bigger problem is that it may be wired for 220 volts. Look for a label somewhere on the back or bottom.

I doubt anything that old will have an automatic function to work with differnent world voltages.

If you're real lucky, there might be a switch.

As a last resort, the power transformer input windings can be connected in a different fashion.

Best,

Gil

Are not external converters made to convert 110 volts to 220? It is the only way foreigners can use their equipment here. I hope that you got a very good price on the Marantz.

BTW: If the amp turns out to be 220 volts, this might be a case of fraud or misrepresentation by silence. Look carefully at the advertising. It's like owning a house on a sink hole and not telling an innocent buyer. Who would even think to ask the question when no hint is given.

Bill

From another Ebay sale of the same:

A VINTAGE MARANTZ STEREO RECEIVER MODEL# 2330B, 110/120/220/240VOLTS, 50Hz

Looks like at least some of them have the capability of operating at multilpe voltages. Not being a EE geneus, I don't think there is much of a problem with operating it at 60 Hz vs 50 Hz. I I think it matters if you are running motors, speed is a function of freqency.

Jim N

Back to your original question about the audio connectors...they are probably 5 pin DIN connectors like for MIDI. Do a Google search for DIN and pin out and you should find a diagram to help you out. Also, you could do a search of the forum here, I think someone else asked this question.

Happy Holidays!

Paul

His problem has NOTHING to do with 5-pin Din connectors, it is his POWER cord plug. Just go down to ratshack and get an adaptor for it...they probably still sell em for a couple of bucks...OR you can find somebody in the military who has access to a BX or PX and the adapter can be bought there. The difference between 50 hz and 60 hz has nothing to do with your amp, since it is not running an electric motor in it! If there is a selector switch on the rear of your unit, or a plug that may be removed and reinserted in different positions, just be sure it is set for 110-120 volts AC.

I bought the vast majority of my equipment while stationed in Italy in the mid-70's. Only the tape decks and turntable had to have allowances made for the differences in cycles per second of the AC voltage, due to their motors. My H/K receiver just needed an adaptor to plug into the wall socket in my Italian apartment! You also have the option of cutting the end of your power cord and replacing it with a standard two prong one for here...if you choose that route. If you run into any "hum" when you plug that two prong unit in, then simply turn off the unit, and re-insert the plug into the adapter 180 degrees around...this will normally eliminate the hum....as per recommendations found in most of the owners' manuals of that time frame.

IOW...been there, done that...the voice of experience here!