Can I use the new RC-7 as the main speakers?

YCklipsch

YC:

In our group listening sessions here a few weeks ago, we did listen to the RC-7 demonstrated in that manner and it performs magnificently as a main speaker also. The vertical position is a feasible option also with it's square horn with corresponding screw holes all around, allowing rotation to maintain the 90 x 60 dispersion standing on end. Go for it!

PhilH

Some more questions:

1. How did the RC-7 pair compare with the RF-5s in the audition?

Which pair do you prefer better as mains?

2. What are the min impedence of the RF7/RF5 and RC-7?

3. Will the new RF series be submitted to any professional review (like Stereophile or Audio Critic)? I am very curious to know more technical measurements, any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Hmmm, PhilH, your comment about rotating the square horn in an RC-7 means that two rotated horn RC-7 as mains and a regular RC-7 over the TV means that the tone & timbre bug-a-boo takes a holiday. Very interesting HT! cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

Living HT Legends

KLF 30 L&R Mains

RC-7 Center (ordered)

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Pwr Sub

KSW-15 Pwr Sub (rear)

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweak On!

YC:

Although both are excellent, the RF-7 definitely surpasses the RF-5 in high frequency detail and bass punch. The larger compression driver and woofers are noticeable. The great thing about the RF-5 is that if you don't have the extra $$ for the RF-7, the 5 will blow away anything in it's price range...and I feel will still leave you happy with the purchace for months/years down the road.

Sorry, but I have not seen any final impedence specs of the new product yet...

HornEd, you aren't thinking about a another killer HT system, are you? Remember, you have to leave some room in your house for boring things like sleeping and cooking.....

PhilH

Don't anyone hold your breath waiting for a klipsch review in STEREOPHILE. I've been reading it for years and in that time Sam Tellig once did mention using the KLF20 or KLF30 with some SE tube amps. He made a few comments on it and that was it. I've never seen a full review of a klipsch speaker there. They have occasionally covered them at shows, but that's about it. Curiously enough, their sister publication, THE STEREOPHILE GUIDE TO HOME THEATER, has reviewed klipsch speakers from time to time. And generally favorably.

Regarding RC7s as mains, I was wondering about that too. Specifically, whether the horn could be rotated. Indeed, very interesting!

------------------

JDMcCall

Monty,

No, your not seeing things. They're really there. Frightening but true.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33 (In the Hospital)

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette (maybe being mothballed)

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Yes, Montigue, 6 KLF 30's, 2 KLF 10's (front effects mounted high and wide) plus subwoofers. Currently one of the KLF 30's is being "operated on" in a center channel conversion experiment (which neither I nor BobG, PhilH, or JimG would recommend... but fun is FUN!) Smile.gif~ (one of these day's they ought to fix that tongue smiley!)

I have a 93 year-old, dementia burdened mother whom I care for rather than farm out. She starts out each day with a DVD and it seems to get her faculties in order and the lower resonant frequencies emitted by the KLF 30's seem to stimulate thickening of diminished neural pathways. In nearly five years of environmental structuring, only the last six months in a Klipsch environment, she has actually improved her test scores... practically unheard of in a person of her affliction set. So, she is the inspiration to try things differently... and it is working. By the way, her cognitive skills increased with a switch from Infinity to Klipsch, I think mainly because of the horn structure.

This is probably more of a response than you expected, but the bonus to me has been a superlative sound system that is much closer matched in tone & timbre than any other multi-channel system I have assembled... and that's a big bonus for HT. Also, the trend to "discrete" programming (5.1) and the ability of receivers to produce a creditable 6.1 from 5.1 sources provide a much improved sound environment for comfort and enjoyment. As "predator shaped" beings, being surrounded in sound is more psychologically comfortable... or so it seems.

If you can handle the expense, aesthetics and space requirements, I think getting a great center channel is most important... and then add on 5 or 6 Klipsch units of the same model... and you will be amazed at how good recent vintage DVD's can be... particularly in dts. In my view, side surround speakers are a compromise for aimed at yesterday's technology (i.e., Dolby Surround rather than Dolby Digital 5.1).

Hey, I have gotten to the point in life where each day is an "enjoy or die" proposition. I'll keep trying the former while I can.

Biggrin.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-15-2001 at 01:36 PM

hehehehe OH MY!

WOW!! Man I totally agree with you Horned, and if I had that kind of money to spend on a HT system I would do it. When I first read your system layout I could'nt beleive what I was reading. You are a true audiophile! (I think that is the word they use) Your system must be one of the best if not the best system i've heard of or read about. I would guess that you have spent close to about $10,000 to $15,000. Maybe im way off but I know that the KLF's must have cost you at least $6000.

I must say that I am very impressed with those KLF's I mean they really sound powerfull with a very wide range of great sound. I have the KG 5.2's and somewhere else in this forum I read that the KLF's sound very simular to the KG series. I recently purchased the C-7 center from ebay I'm hoping theres a good timbre match.

Anyway thank's for your reply Horned, I hope you keep enjoying life. I know I would if I had your living room!!

I bow to you!! you are the HT god!!!cwm12.gif

Many of the most popular audio magazines had an opportunity to hear the new Reference models in NYC a couple of weeks ago. We set up in a hotel and invited all we could.

Hope to see some reviews down the road based on this effort. We will be supplying review samples to those who request. Based on the time required to evaluate and the production lead times, don't expect anything right away.