Adding SWS to Promedia Ultra 5.1?

Alex T.

----------------

On 12/24/2003 11:47:22 PM Alex T. wrote:

I just wanted to know the SWS sub is the same specs as the sub in my Ultra 5.1s? If not can you get an identical dual 8" sub from Klipsch?

----------------

sorry no they are not the ultra 5.1 is dual 8 inch woofers. the sws is one 8 inch woofer. But surprisingly the sws weighs as much as the ultra sub. The sws is 100 watts while the ultra is 85 to each speaker. Also the sws has a bigger magnet and such. And it would be to configure a way to work the extra ultra sub in a system

Yes I recently bought one. The SWS is impressive no doubt, but its no match for the Ultra at either 30hz or 55hz. At 30hz the Ultra sub is 10db louder, and at 55hz it was cap. of being 8db louder. The SWS starts droping around 45hz, where as the Ultra doesn't start to really drop till 35hz, but even then the Ultra is pretty linear to 30hz.

Simply put the Ultra offers true 30hz performance (Over 100db) (in this case 105-107db), the SWS at the very most put out 94-96db at 30hz (No way a SWS reaches 100db at 30hz). Which matches pretty well with PM 5.1 sub. But neither is no match for the Ultra sub.

Yes adding a SWS will offer more volume and more punch. The reason why it sounds so impressive, is its most prom. in the 45-65hz region, which makes it seem like the SWS is adding godlike bass to the Ultra. Like I said, the SWS is an impressive little sub. Its one driver and bigger magnet give it numebrs that again rival the orignal 5.1 sub, but in the end..all it adds to the Ultra is more midbass punch nothing more. It cannot reach the depth that the Ultra can reach. And believe it or not, but the Ultra would still do 25hz for example hella better then say 3 SWS could. Why because all 3 SWS are droping at the same point, so its really not adding anything except above the tuning point before it drops off.

Uses a program like spectra or some frequency program with an SPL meter.

If you want an example of what I mean since right now I can't get charts up. Find Swerv's Review with his measurements and then find Justins charts comparing the SWS and PM 5.1 sub. Although my tests vary slightly, you will see they are close. (Listening position numbers, not port numbers (Which make them look insanely loud))

OK...so I have my two SWS daisy chained off my Ultra sub and notice the switch on the back of the SWS to set to Auto...why is it that when I turn off my Ultra Tower the light on the bass volume module for the SWS doesnt go off?? Anyone have any suggestions? I tried pluggin the bass volume module into both of the sws to see if that helped and it didnt! I have two of the modules but it said it is unnecessary to plug them both in so Im lost! Anyone else have this issue?? Thanks in advance

Dave