Calling All Denon 3803 Owners

Lovebohn

I currently have a Denon 3802 and wanted to upgrade to the 3803 due to the video switching and greater LFE frequency options. Does any one have a reason why this would not be a good idea? I would love to have the OSD work with my DVD player and all video running via component to my RPTV.

Dave

----------------

On 12/26/2003 12:37:47 PM Lovebohn wrote:

I currently have a Denon 3802 and wanted to upgrade to the 3803 due to the video switching and greater LFE frequency options. Does any one have a reason why this would not be a good idea? I would love to have the OSD work with my DVD player and all video running via component to my RPTV.

Dave

----------------

I am not quite sure what you are looking for in the upgrade, but my 3802 has OSD on ay digital connection and component out. However, it is not full bandwidth so HDTV is a caution. The LFE stuff is very much real - and as a whole I would recommend an upgrade. But since you are in the market you might just expand your horizons with a separates alternative - just a thought.

"I am not quite sure what you are looking for in the upgrade, but my 3802 has OSD on ay digital connection and component out. However, it is not full bandwidth so HDTV is a caution. The LFE stuff is very much real - and as a whole I would recommend an upgrade. But since you are in the market you might just expand your horizons with a separates alternative - just a thought."

I don't know what you mean by a digital connection and OSD, the audio has nothing to do with it.

The big difference between the 3802 & 3803 is the upconversion so if you run composite, s-video and component video they will all be output with component unlike the 3802 which will not do this. I have not tried it but i did not think the component out on the 3802 will even do the OSD from memory of the manual, don't quote me on that one.

Dave

Yeah, but shelling out another $1000 just for video conversion? Why not get a decent video switcher for less than half the price and accomplish the same thing?

It's your money so it's your decision ultimately, but personally I find buying a revision of your existing product for one or two little features when the majority of it will preform identically to be a wasted investment. Save and step up to a processor instead; Use the 5.1 audio input and "direct mode" on the reciver to make it work as an amp then get all your new video inputs _plus_ better audio processing in one buy. THen you can phase your Denon out completely later with a stand alone amp.

The 3803 has more to offer than just video conversion.I also had a 3802(great avr)I only upgraded because I had a chance to sell my 3802.For a couple hundred bucks more its worth it,12v trigger,AL24,much better remote etc..