LaScala/Cornwall

spw1

As you can see spw1, it's a matter of preference. Both are great speakers. Like Gary said, it would be best if you could hear both before making a decision.

I have three pairs of La Scalas sitting up in my garage waiting to be refinished if anyone's interested. I'm in Maine, but could ship from Forward Air in Boston for $90 plus the shipping fee. The cost of the La Scalas depends on what you want done to them. They are all black right now, two sets have handles built in. My plan, eventually, is to re-veneer and add top and bass bin grilles. They'll be just like new, only less than half the price.

Greg

I had walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, for over a decade, but after hearing LaScalas, I had to upgrade to classic Klipsch corner Khorns. It was after hearing LaScalas that I had to have better loudspeakers than my walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers. In my opinion, the LaScala and Khorns larger mid-range horn is smoother, larger, clearer, open, efficient, compelling, more accurate and true.

I think the LaScalas have a much leaner, more accurate bass characteristic, but very realistic, than the Cornwalls. But the Cornies have a 80-100Hz mid-bass bounce that lots of people like. Either way, you do not get 20-30Hz "church organ" pipe bass out of them. The most striking difference IS the more wide and clear mid-horn on the LaScalas, same as the mighty Khorn. The Corns are taller and easier to aim the horn at your ear.

Cornwall 1s are NOT a deeper bass, their frequency response is NOT more natural with better tonal balance. The LaScala is, in my opinion. The high frequency bounce of my Cornies was harsh and gave me listening fatigue. I should have gotten the ALK crossovers, instead I got Khorns. I do think LaScala have less distortion in the lower midrange and bass.

Measurement-wise, the LaScalas reveal several differences compared to Cornwalls. They do not go deep, only 53Hz, meaning they definitely need a subwoofer. Even a modest sub would help. The KSW200 for example peaks about 60Hz. (Cornwalls extend down to 38Hz, meaning only the most powerful subs will improve the depth of their sound.) LaScala are however, twice as sensitive (an amazing 104dB per watt per meter). They have louder acoustic output- approaching real life orchestra performances 121dB. They are fully horn loaded, so the bass, while lean, should be quick and sensitive. The mid-range squawker goes lower (400 versus 600Hz) but it also handles less of the high-end (4500 vs. 6000Hz). What I dont see is the size of the mid-range horn itself, just the driver. The larger horn makes a considerable difference in the sound quality. It is the same as the classic Klipsch corner Khorns, only the bass bin is much larger and therefore deeper on the Khorns.

2.gif