SACD, DVDa the death of CD, or ipod?

maxg

----------------

On 1/8/2004 2:29:06 AM AndyKubicki wrote:

If my experience with DVDa continues, I will be buying more. I don't mind paying more when getting more, and with what I have heard on Fragile and Brain Salad Surgery, I can't wait for more. Perhaps some are indeed holding out for the newer releases on the newer medium?

----------------

Andy,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I've been following the SACD vs DVD-A battle with some interest. So far, it appears as though SACD is winning. Check out this article -

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1073280831350&p=1012571727132

BTW, SACD sounds great to me. Almost vinyl, without the hassles. Although I do sometimes enjoy the "vinyl ritual".

Regards,

Chris

It seems that the MP3 iTunes market is mostly youngsters and college kidsseparate markets, although I'm sure it does canabalize retail to some degree.

Did anyone watch Jobs' keynote? He said wanted to recognize the individual who downloaded the most music from the iTunes store but he wouldn't say his name because he didn't want to get him in trouble with his parents. Then he flashed the number up on the screen$29,500and said he couldn't imagine that Daddy wouldn't have noticed that on his credit card.

Jobs even showed a little movie about my hometown!

Blacksburg Movie

John

(one mile from the third fastest computer in the world)

----------------

On 1/8/2004 5:15:19 PM Piranha wrote:

Can someone please explain the differences between the three? SACD, DVDa, and CD?

Thanks
----------------

Assuming you know what CD is, DVD-A and SACD are newer, higher resolution formats for digitally recorded music. SACD (stands for Super Audio C D) discs can usually be played in a regular audio CD player, but need a SACD player to get the sonic benefits of the higher resolution. DVD-A (stands for DVD Audio) discs need to have a DVD-A compatible player to be played at all. People argue back and forth about which format sounds better, but just about everyone agrees they are both substancially superior to regular CD.

Hope this helps,

Chris