Newbie needs advice on tubes and speakers....

That Heath, BTW sounds like it could be a steal. The transformers are almost universally regarded as beyond reproach for their application. For $95, you could allow quite a bit for restoration, which it most definitely requires.

Also, I don't know if you are aware of the replacement cost of 7591 tubes. Do a search within this forum for lots of differing takes on that issue. Current production Electro-Harmonix 7591A (kind of a cross between 6L6 and true 7591A) have a very different sound from a true 7591A. Could be good or bad, depending on your taste and the cicuit involved, but they are certainly not the same tube. New EH cost about $75 per quad, while NOS 7591A can run $200-$350, more often on the higher side of that range.

Thanks for the replies all. I read so many high regards for Scott & Fisher, etc. that Joe Rosen's comments were very strange to me. I figured he must have a pretty particular taste to make such comments. I guess I could keep using the Sansui Greg, but I am eager to find an integrated or a receiver that fits the bill. The 299A & B seemed to score the highest points with what I read today, but you guys know the scoop not me. I was thinking of possibly purchasing that Fisher 500B; I have some tubes I need to look through first and see if I have any NOS from two of my Lowrey organs I used for parts (tubes : ) Also the FM tuning wire needs to be wound. Otherwise he says it works. I'll have to ask about the other one. I am sensing that a pair of Klipsch Forte's would a worthy set of speakers to come by, yes????

Jon

----------------

On 1/8/2004 7:30:28 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Craig, simmer down. I think the whole thing was cut from an AA post. I don't think our friend here has heard
any
of the amps mentioned, and was not stating the opinions contained in his post. Could have been a bit more clear, doc.
----------------

Ooops I thought the first paragraph was Joe and the rest ........ Ah forget it ! I'm getting off here for the night 9.gif

Sorry Craig

I see...I forget that was someone responding to Joe's comments...my bad.....I work in a radio room for 12 hours and some times I start going lightspeed with my stereo obsession. Pretty nice to be able to learn about this stuff all day, but mistakes do get made that way, and my dreams are full of glowing tubes and talking heatsinks.....

JC

----------------

On 1/8/2004 10:19:24 PM doctorcilantro wrote:

I have some tubes I need to look through first and see if I have any NOS from two of my Lowrey organs I used for parts (tubes : ) ............ I am sensing that a pair of Klipsch Forte's would a worthy set of speakers to come by, yes????

Jon

----------------

Jon-

Yes, the Fortes are highly regarded. Too bad the seller ended the auction early on those Tangents. If they went for near the starting bid, that would have been an absolute steal.

NOS = New Old Stock. Unless the organs have never been played, ain't no NOS in there. They could be good as new, but doesn't make 'em NOS. I see this all the time on eBay. Oh, yup, I gots me a vintage amp, oh yes, it's in original condition. Yup, yup, I plugs it in and all dem NOS tubes, oh yup, dey all lite up and mek pretty cracklin noises. (not making fun of you here, doc.)

Ben, I will say that the mini tubes used in organs are operating at SO low a voltage, they practically ARE new old stock! heh... Obviously, they arent new but you would be amazed. I got a CONN orgran from the Goodwill throw out pile this summer with over two dozen and change RCA Clear Top Side Getter 12AU7 tubes. They all measured NEW! It was my find of the summer. I now scour the place for these old organs coming in. I still have the Conn 6L6 amp too that my friend and I are converting to a guitar amp (he is starting an amp company as well - Just had his first two sales: Swart Amplifier Co).

So keep a look out for the organs and the tubes used for the keys/notes - it's a gold mine!

kh

About those Tangent 50's....I am waiting to hear back from the seller. I purchased a sherwood S-5000 so I need to find the speakers now. You think 150 would be a steal ? Your right about the tubes....not NOS, my bad, gotta get them to a tester or buy one. I have three Lowrey's and the nice one has a Leslie, to obad we never brought it up on a variac, cause now it hums and clips bad when powered up. Need to read up and replace the capacitors I think is what my friend said.

JC