RF3 II Question

cmdridq

A friend has a pair of RF3 II speakers he wants to sell to me for $300. They're about a year old, black wood veneer finish, in mint condition. I've got a Sony 110x2 receiver about 5 yrs old that I will upgrade sometime in the next year to add AV and HT capabilities. I know the RF3 II series is not current, so will I have any trouble getting compatible speakers to complement the RF3 II's if I want to set up a HT system, since I can't count on the 3 series being available? What kind of receiver would be a good match for RF3 II's? Any input is appreciated.

$300 for a pair of RF-3's is a good deal.

In terms of amplification/receiver, most here in the two channel forum would suggest that HT equipment does not do the best job of reproducing music satisfactorily for their tastes. However, your milage may vary. If you don't do much critical listening for music, and place an emphasis on HT/Movies/TV viewing, than a HT receiver might be just the ticket.

With Klipsch speakers, the "warmer" the sound, the better. Many, including myself, have had good results with some of the better Marantz HT units. Harman Kardon units also get positive reviews here.

You should have no trouble at all finding center channel and surround speakers to match your RF-3's. The RC-3 II and the RS # II are readily available on Ebay, just make sure the seller is reputable: check for good feedback from a variety of buyers. You might also find some on-line retailers that carry these units. Be careful, here, as most of these retailers obtain their product via the "gray market", and are not authorized Klipsch retailers.

I sure enjoy my RF 3II's. My home-theatre system at present consists of a pair of 3II's as 'fronts or mains', an RC 35 as 'centre' (surrounds still to come), Panasonic SA-HE200 a/v receiver, and Hitachi 51s500 RPTV. I'm sure enjoying what I have, and believe the speakers and receiver 'match' well. I'm constantly amazed and impressed with the frequency response and wide dynamic range of the 3II's. I've owned many speakers over the years (during my "stereo days"), but few have ever matched these in perfomance!! I'm new to home-theatre -- this is my first experience with such, and everything is only a couple of months old. So far so good, feel I've made great choices in what I have. Cheers!!

----------------

On 1/11/2004 8:53:32 AM whell wrote:

In terms of amplification/receiver, most here in the two channel forum would suggest that HT equipment does not do the best job of reproducing music satisfactorily for their tastes. However, your milage may vary. If you don't do much critical listening for music, and place an emphasis on HT/Movies/TV viewing, than a HT receiver might be just the ticket.

----------------

Is this one of those esoteric debates like "12 ga speaker cable sounds better than 14 ga?" I am not so interested in setting up HT as I am in being able to integrate my components together and add AV support? Or is there some clear scientific reason why HT equipment would not sound as good as normal stereo gear when playing music CD's, tapes, FM, etc.?

Also, my present receiver has a phono input, which seems to be missing on a lot of new equipment. Do some manufacturers still include this, or will I have to rig up some external gadget, etc., to use my turntable? Also, anymore receiver suggestions?