Basis 1400 Turntable W/Rega RB600 Arm & Benz Glider Series 2 Cartridge

neo33

Sounds like a steal to me. I have the 1400 w/ Graham 1.5. The tt is silent and doesn't add much of a signature to the sound. I'd say none at all, but I know that can't be true. Compared to other tt at similar pricing, the Basis 1400 is a big step up. It also has a surprisingly small footprint.

Leo

Neo,

I have not heard that particular combo, but Basis makes a good product and the RB600 arm is a good one. If I'm not mistaken, the Benz Glider is a LOMC so you will need to consider the cost of adding a step up trannie of some sort to go along with the $1400 cost. New Benz Gliders are in the $7-$800 neighborhood. A new 1400 with a RB300 arm can cost $1,200-$1,400. Overall, the price is not bad but the step up transformer or a phono stage that will handle MM and MC should be computed in the total cost. One other consideration is most Basis tables can be upgraded.

What design parameters and performance level are you looking for in a TT? At the most, what are you willing to spend? If you're willing to go used, $1400 could go a long way depending on your anwer to the first question above.

Klipsch out.

I had the oportunity to audition that setup for two weeks a couple of years ago. I was really impressed. I attempted to buy the table, but the dealer had already promised it to another customer who had dibs on it. The Basis was so good that it drove me back to listening to vinyl. I had auditioned the table because I had never had a really good TT in my own home. After listening to the Basis and being denied purchase I lost my mind and went out and blew all of my upgrade money on 25th anniversary Linn LP 12 with a Benz Micro Glider cartridge. The glider is a really good cart, but it IS pretty low output, be sure you have enough gain in the Phono-stage or look into a step-up transformer. For the Money I would jump all over that rig!

I have heard that table but not with that arm. I dont like to comment too much on tables I havent heard at length and I have heard this table in our local shop (Raleigh). They carry Linn, Basis, VPI, Clearaudio, Sumiko/Pro-Ject etc. OF those, I have heard Linn and VPI at length and the rest in setup for audition. I am not the biggest fan of the clear acrylic tables. I would probably side with some of the reviewer comments on that combination w/ a RB-250. I find these types of tables MORE digital sounding then the best suspension tables or my Linn LP-12. They lack a bit of what analog great to me. Then again, a lot can be fixed by using a felt mat on the platter and ditching the clamping system, two things I do with my PE table, a table with an acrylic platter and an expensive clamp. My Linn felt mat and sans clamp sounds best in my view.

As stated, there might be other options I would take first. I do believe the Benz will be low output.

kh

"I find these types of tables MORE digital sounding then the best suspension tables or my Linn LP-12."

Wow, a "digital" sounding turntable -- I would probably like it. Seriously though, this is an unusual way to describe an analog piece. I'm not sure an analog piece can sound any more "digital" than a digital piece can sound "analog". These two mediums just sound so different from each other in almost every aspect. What aspect of digital are you trying to pin on this table? Analytical and a little insicive maybe?

IMO, the cable on the RB-600 arm is better then the RB-250 (unless it is modified). I like the sound of the acrylic platter better then glass and metal. But you can easily add a felt mat on the Basis platter. I don't like the clamping system and I never use it on my vinyls. If I am not mistaken, there is a high output version of the Benz cartridge.

I have listened to the Linn LP-12 at length and, IMO, it is the most overated table. I actually prefer the sound of my Rega P25 over the Linn LP-12.

The 1400 is/was the least expensive of the pricey but high quality Basis line. I'm not sure it will stay in the lineup. Basis seems to be slimming down its dealer lineup, and recently changed its distributorship from Musical Surroundings to Profundo, which also distributes Transfiguration cartridges.

Anyway...unfortunately, Basis discontinued some internet dealerships that had the best web displays of its products without getting its own website into shape, so it's not as easy now to find much detail or good pics. The best I've been able to find is at www.takefiveaudio.com/basis_turntables.htm.

The 1400 is the only clear acrylic table in the line, and it appears it cannot be upgraded. Basis's tables in its 2000 series are either suspended or can have an active suspension added as an upgrade. I have a very hybrid Basis, an Ovation with the higher-line Debut platter and bearing and updated silicone suspension cartridges. I have always thought my Basis has a very musical playback quality.

Larry

Unless that Linn LP-12 was setup incorrectly (very, very easy to happen) I have a hard time believing this. There are also many incarnations of the Linn over the years and it's a table that can be mishandled.

I have A-b'd this table against some of the better tables made and when set up and firing on all cylinders, it's is more musical in my view than the VPI HW-19, Progressive-Engineering, low end Basis, definitely over the various Regas. Obviously opinion is key but this is my finding.

I generally dont like the acrylic platters as much as the better metal ones. The Linn two part platter is really excellent. I have heard my Linn sound as pedestrian as rain but I have heard it outplay any vinyl source I have ever had.

Dean, as for the vinyl sounding like digital, I wrote a long review in here describing this. I personally dont think you have yet been exposed to a great vinyl rig that really shows you what it can do. But the best are more EMOTIONALLY engaging. They have a penchant for drawing you in, the sound closer to a live event than even high quality digital. I am not saying that digital cant sound good. But digital to vinyl is very much like solid state to tubes.

REad this review of the Basis 1400. I find myself agreeing with 95% of it based on my exposure, this compared to my other tables. See a few references to some of the qualities I mention.

Positive Feedback - Basis 1400

kh

Mobile,

You are dead right when you say that proper set up counts for a lot with the LP 12. When set up right it is absolutely spectacular and just sounds so damn musical that it can be addictive. But, I have moved three times since buying the Linn and can attest to having it set up at a less than optimal level. I have never heard mine sound anything less than good, but there are times I wish I would have went with a less finicky table. I have heard some VPI gear that I think is very, very good. The Linn is good enough that it has turned me back into a devoted vinyl freak, however. I don't regret buying the machine for a second. The LP 12 and my Rega Planet totally changed my mind about high quality front end equipment. The next thing I will buy will be an SACD player.

You might have the Akito II. When did you buy this table? The Ittok is actually a better arm than the Akito, at least for MC cartridges. Linn went with the Ekos as their top arm a while back.

Setup and STAND are important as anything with a Linn LP-12. You have it on a massive, solid, heavy stand and the sound actually is WORSE, loosing a lot of the great rhythmic qualities of the Linn. They recommend a light but VERY RIGID stand and they are totally correct. And you MUST have the spring suspension properly balanced. Do you have the Linn Tech Notes available online? I have a copy of you need them. They help you to learn to SETUP the Linn - the new springs make it less likely to go out of adjustment. But so many owners move their tables without taking the platters out etc. But a properly balanced and setup Linn on a good stand is VERY VERY musical.

The Linn and my Progressive-Engineering tables are totally different in almost EVERY WAY. I have to say, I have never had any product as well-built and solid and turnkey as the Progressive Engineering "The Table".

Still, I ultimately love the soul and more involving Linn LP-12. The PE table is a tour de force and amazing with GREAT sonics and low end extension. It's one of the best turntables I have ever heard. But the Linn draws me in the most. They are two different approaches and I love each.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/tables2.jpg

kh

After reading the reviews from the link you provided, I think I understand where you're coming from. And given the choice of gears, I would go for anything that has "soul" in an instant.

The problem with the LP-12 is that it can give you hell (especially for beginner) in trying to get it properly setup. I see this as a MAJOR weakness. The LP-12 also has a tendency to bounce if it is not placed on the proper shelf. What constitutes a "proper" shelf is yet another problem.

IMO, the LP-12 tends to over-simplify the music and it is noticeably colored compare to modern high-end tables. And the frequency extremes are quite substandard. However, when optimized, the LP-12 can be extremely soul-giving (despite the over-simplification of music) that many high-end tables lack. They keyword here is "optimized".